The Grammy Awards last night were one of the best ones in a while. The performances were amazing, the awards very just, and the fashion was the perfect balance of outrageous and glamorous. What do I look for in a perfect Grammy’s red carpet moment? I look for things that wouldn’t work on any other red carpet. Things that are dramatic, bold, and glamorous. Things that can really sell an artists brand and personality. This is a red carpet where anything goes and last night was proof of that. It was a night full of bright young talent, with a few veterans giving appearances too. All in all I was really impressed with everything that came down the red carpet. 1) Cardi B in vintage Thierry Mugler Fall 1995 Couture: Topping the list is the most dramatic look of the night. I know that there are going to be a lot of people who don’t agree with me, but the moment I saw Cardi B I was super excited. I was waiting for her to deliver a moment. I was honestly expecting her to turn to Dolce & Gabbana, so when she stepped onto the red carpet wearing this black, pink, and nude Thierry Mugler Fall 1995 Couture gown which features a nude sequined bodysuit bodice, a dramatic fan off the hips, and a mermaid skirt I was shocked. It worked for me. Cardi is all about the drama, glamour, and a little bit of trash and that was exactly what she was serving here. Another one for her record books. She keeps topping herself and I don’t know how. 2) Dua Lipa in custom Atelier Versace: Going into last night I think I was probably most excited to see Dua Lipa on the red carpet. I expected a dramatic ruffled Giambattista Valli Couture gown from her on the red carpet so when she gave me mermaid meets old Hollywood siren vibes in this pale blue custom Atelier Versace strapless gown I was a little surprised. I absolutely loved it. It was dramatic and glamorous. Is it the most avant garde look that came down the red carpet last night? Not by any stretch of the imagination, but Dua is all about the glamour and that is exactly what she served up with this look.
3) Jennifer Lopez in Ralph & Russo Spring 2019 Couture: I didn’t realize that Jennifer Lopez was attending and performing at the Grammy Awards last night or I definitely would have put her on one of my wish lists. Though I definitely would have never picked this mint Ralph & Russo Spring 2019 Couture gown which features intricate jeweled embellishments and a matching wide brimmed hat for her. That being said I loved it. She gave 60’s Dallas, Texas socialite hostess glamour and owned the look. I always love to expect the unexpected on the Grammy Awards red carpet and that is exactly what this look was.
4) Bebe Rexha in Monsoori: Following Bebe Rexha’s public shaming of designers who didn’t want to dress her because she is not a runway sample size I was very interested in seeing what she would bring to the red carpet last night. I won’t like that based on the looks that she had worn to some of the Pre-Grammy parties I was worried, but she proved to me that I shouldn’t have been when she stepped onto the red carpet last night wearing this wine red Monsoori dramatic ruffled gown. Bebe rocked this gown to it’s full potential. We have seen other similar gowns from Monsoori on the red carpet before and they have always landed the wearer on my worst dressed list, but Bebe was able to not let all those ruffles wear her. She wanted a princess moment on this red carpet and she definitely got it. 5) Alicia Keys in custom Armani Prive: Alicia Keys was the hostess of the whole Grammy Awards show last night. I wasn’t sure what to expect from her style over the course of the evening to be honest. She was definitely very authentic to herself, but also it was the best that she has looked in a long time. Her best look of the night was her very first wearing a custom Armani Prive long sleeve fitted gown which features a plunging neckline and button details down the front. The perfect fit, her pulled back curls, natural makeup, and the collar necklace all played a perfect red carpet love song together,
6) Kacey Musgraves in Valentino Spring 2018 Couture: Kacey ended up taking home the top prize of Album of the Year at the end of the night last night. She kicked of the night though wearing a blush tulle Valentino Spring 2018 Couture strapless a-line gown which features a dramatic ruffled neckline and a red sash defined waist. It honestly reminded me a little bit of her first Grammy’s gown, but a more grown up and sophisticated version. I almost wonder if that was intentional? As the only one to wear Valentino last night I kinda wonder why she didn’t wear something from the hot off the runway couture collection? I hope it was just because this gown was on the rack with some other options and it was exactly what she wanted. She looked absolutely beautiful despite my feelings of her being offered leftovers.
7) St. Vincent in Giambattista Valli Spring 2019 Couture: I was reminded last night during her performance with Dua Lipa that I really should listen to St. Vincent more than I do. Maybe she will go on my rotation while I write all of my Oscar party wishes over the next several days. Now that I have gotten off track I am back to praising what she brought to the red carpet at the Grammy Awards last night. I know she has a bit of and edgy and eccentric style. I saw her black and white sequined floral print Giambattista Valli Spring 2019 Couture opera coat and matching mini dress and I was blown away. It was visually striking and St. Vincent’s alien like beauty is just playing right along with this look to make it glamorous perfection. 8) Katy Perry in Balmain Spring 2019 Couture: I knew that the Grammy Awards was going to be the place where we saw Olivier Rousting’s debut couture collection for Balmain and it definitely was. I fell in lobe with this blush pink ruffled bell shaped gown which features a spray painted metal bustier bodice before it even took the runway and it was teased on Olivier’s Instagram. Katy’s stylist also teased her wearing this gown with a photo of Katy having to stand in a limo-bus on her way to the Grammy’s When she stepped onto the red carpet I knew that this was going to be one of the gowns that I was going to end up featuring on this list. I hadn’t even started to think of this gown for Katy, but it really did work.
9) Dua Lipa in custom Atelier Versace: Dua Lipa had an amazing night fashion wise last night at the Grammy Awards. She took to the Grammy stage last night with St. Vincent to perform a melody of her song “One Kiss” and and St. Vincent’s “Masseduction” she rocked a second Atelier Versace gown this time it was a black and white pieced together gown which looks to be held together by signature Versace safety pins. It looks like Donatella took two different gowns and meshed them together perfectly with this gown. I said it last night I want Dua to be huge, like Taylor Swift and Beyonce huge, and I think that she is on her way.
10) Anna Kendrick in Ralph & Russo Spring 2019 Couture: Last but not least is Anna Kendrick who delivered a short and sassy look wearing a soft pink Ralph & Russo Spring 2019 Couture feathered cocktail dress last night. Personally I think that this is the best look that Anna has worn in a really long time. It was flirty and feminine without being too sugary or twee. It could definitely have gone that route, but Anna’s simple styling really allowed the dress to remain the focus of the look. It made me excited about her style again. Maybe she should just stick to looks in this color since they seem to work so well for her.
What was your favorite look at the Grammy Awards last night?