I said in my wishes heading into the years Golden Globe Awards that I was expecting this year to be one of the most glamorous ever, and I wasn’t disappointed. I was afraid I was setting my expectations too high, but everyone who walked the red carpet did so bringing their a-game (at least for the most part.) I definitely considered menswear for this list, but the ladies did such an amazing job that they just shut even the most boundary pushing men’s looks off this lists. Now the red carpet was dominated by brands like Monique Lhuillier and Dior. I missed seeing Oscar de la Renta, Carolina Herrera, and more. But I was definitely blown away. It was hard to narrow down to just 10 looks. I almost did a top 15. But I did the difficult job. Let’s go.1) Lupita Nyong’o in Calvin Klein by Appointment: Raf Simons might be out as the creative director of Calvin Klein, but at least he went out with a bang. The moment I saw Lupita Nyong’o step onto the Golden Globe Awards red carpet wearing this custom cobalt blue Calvin Klein by Appointment chain fringed column gown which features silver drop beads and a half moon strapless neckline I fell in love. The color first, the fringe second, and the sparkle third are all reasons why I have fallen in love with this gown. I knew that Lupita was going to bring her a-game and this gown definitely delivered. 2) Lady Gaga in custom Valentino Fall 2018 Couture: I was expecting a lot of drama from Lady Gaga on the red carpet last night, and she didn’t disappoint. She stepped onto the red carpet wearing a custom Valentino Couture lilac gown which featured a strapless a-line ballgown and a matching puff sleeve opera coat that had a train for days. The gown was chosen to reference a similar style worn by Judy Garland in the original 1954 iteration of A Star Is Born. I was a honestly do believe that had Gaga not matched her hair to the gown and done something even grander with her hairstyle that this look would have been on the top of this list. I was initially off put by the hair, but it all grew on me. I was shocked that she didn’t win the Best Actress trophy, but was excited that she won the Best Original Song trophy. And of course she won at the red carpet game.
3) Julia Roberts in custom Stella McCartney: I was hoping that Julia was going to bring something absolutely fantastic to this red carpet and she delivered. In the red carpet pre-show Zanna Roberts Rassi said that Julia would be wearing something that exuded masculinity on the red carpet and I was expecting to see her in some sort of oversized suit. So when I saw her wearing this nude and black custom Stella McCartney one shoulder jumpsuit I was relieved. It meshes the glamour of a gown and the structure of a tuxedo so well into a single look. I really think that Julia a few years ago would have never worn this and that would have been sad. This moment was absolutely gorgeous.
4) Sandra Oh in custom Atelier Versace: I was praying that Sandra Oh was going to deliver last night as the hostess of the evening, and she didn’t let me down. She wore three looks over the course of the red carpet and the show. Her first look during the show was my favorite. She wore a custom red Atelier Versace long sleeve tuxedo inspired gown to kick off the telecast and it was femme fatale glamour. She stepped out from the wings of the ballroom onto the stage and I gasped. She wanted to celebrate female designers and she did Donatella Versace proud in this gown. 5) Constance Wu in custom Vera Wang: I wanted to see Constance Wu finally deliver a gown on the red carpet that was perfectly proportioned to her frame and she did just that last night on the red carpet at the Golden Globe Awards wearing a nude Vera Wang tulle gown which features a sheer corseted bodice, thin straps, a ball skirt, and a burnt orange ribbon tied around the waist. Everything about the fit of this gown is perfection. Constance wasn’t the favorite to win last night, but she looked beautiful. Definitely the best look she has ever worn. It makes me excited to see what else she will pull out for awards season.
6) Thandie Newton in custom Michael Kors: I always have high expectations for Thandie Newton and she didn’t let me down. She wore a custom silver embellished Michael Kors gown which features a v-neck and stomach cutouts that gave distinct modern disco vibes. The hair and smokey eyes definitely added to that and it all just screamed glamour from head to toe.
7) Saoirse Ronan in custom Gucci: When I found out that the silver beaded swag column gown with a daring plunging neckline worn with the perfect nude undergarments that Saoirse Ronan wore on last nights red carpet was a custom Gucci design you could have knocked me over with a feather. I never would have figured that this was a Gucci design under the current creative director. It bought me back to the days where Gucci was all about sexy glamour. That is the Gucci that I missed. Is this signifying a turn in the tide of Alessandro Michele’s direction for the brand? It definitely has be intrigued to see what he will be sending down the runway in about two months. 8) Sandra Oh in custom Atelier Versace: I just loved everything that Sandra Oh wore on the red carpet last night. She gave Crazy Rich Asians vibes on the red carpet wearing this white custom Atelier Versace asymmetrically draped column gown with a small train. I never would have thought of Versace for Sandra, but the custom creations that Donatella sent over were perfection. Sandra gave us Hollywood glamour and definitely ignited a spark in me with her style.
9) Catherine Zeta Jones in Elie Saab Fall 2018 Couture: I went back and forth with this gown. I wasn’t a huge fan of how Catherine Zeta Jones posed on the red carpet wearing her jade green Elie Saab Fall 2018 Couture gown which features a dramatic asymmetrical pleated fan strapless bodice, a faux wrap column skirt, and a dramatic train, but when I really got to see her standing in the dress as she presented the Best Foreign Language Film award I knew that I loved this look. I saw her get out of her car and loved it from the waist up immediately so when I saw the red carpet poses I was very disappointed, but she did give us a redemption moment so all was forgiven.
10) Glenn Close in custom Armani Prive: Last but not least is the gorgeous Glenn Close. I was definitely thinking that she was going to wear another black jumpsuit on this red carpet, because that is what she has been favoring over the last few weeks leading up to last nights red carpet. She stayed in black, but gave drama wearing a custom Armani Prive velvet cape gown with a crystal trimmed bow detail. I think that the fact that this was an unexpected moment is what made me include her on this list.
Who was your best dressed at this years Golden Globe Awards? Drop a comment below and let me know.