2018 has been a major year for fashion. From wardrobe protests during awards season to major movie tours and film festivals we have seen so many major moments on the red carpet. I have amassed over 1500 looks in my Best Dressed file over the course of the last year. It was incredibly difficult to narrow down those over 1500 looks to just my 10 favorite looks of the year. In my search for my favorite looks of the year I take into account numerous factors from the simple fact of the clothes to the event that its is taken from and rank them based on how well they worked for the event, or sidewalk, that they are taken from. So yes this list is totally subjective, but I think it encompasses many of the best looks of the year. 1) Lady Gaga in Valentino Fall 2018 Couture at the Venice Film Festival premiere of A Star Is Born: Topping this years list is Lady Gaga who shut down the red carpet at the Venice Film Festival premiere of A Star is Born wearing soft pink feathered Valentino Haute Couture. I was driving home from work and was stopped at a red light and so I decided to check my phone for a second and this look was in my notifications and it was a good thing I was stopped because I was in such a state of glamour shock. I never imagined when I saw this gown come down the Valentino runway that it would ever have even been optioned as a red carpet look. I don’t even think I’d saved a photo of the gown from the runway I had that little faith that it would come to life on a red carpet. Leave it to Gaga to really wear the gown with ease. It kicked off a promo tour that earned her the Best Promotional Tour award in these End of the Year Style Awards this year and I am hoping that will continue through a mahjor awards season run next year. 2) Deepika Padukone in Ashi Studio Spring 2018 Couture at the Cannes Film Festival premiere of Ash Is The Purest White: The Cannes Film Festival is always a great place to search for Best Dressed of the Year worthy looks. Not a year has gone by since I started If I Was A Stylist that at least one look from the festival has made my Best Dressed of the Year list. Taking the second spot on this years list is the gorgeous Bollywood beauty Deepika Padukone who was at the festivals premiere of Ash Is The Purest White as a spokesmodel for L’Oreal Paris. She brought all the drama that was needed when she stepped out of her car and onto the red carpet at the Palais de Festivals wearing a hot pink Ashi Studio Spring 2018 Couture ruffled gown which features winged shoulders, high low hem, and a dramatic train. I honestly never expected to see this gown on a red carpet. It could be incredibly overwhelming, but Deepika was able to push through all of those ruffles and own the gown on the red carpet. Her sleek high bun, smokey eyes, matching pink satin pumps, and emerald earrings all brought this look together perfectly.
3) Cate Blanchett in custom Mary Katrantzou Spring 2018 RTW at the Cannes Film Festival premiere of Cold War: Another look from the Cannes Film Festival I loved comes from my queen Cate Blanchett. She was the president of this years jury and I was absolutely obsessed with the custom Mary Katrantzou gown inspired by the brands Spring 2018 RTW collection. Cate delivered many glamorous looks over the course of the festival but this one was bold and statement making. I tend to put amazing red carpet moments as the background on my iPhone. This gown was my background for the longest time. We haven’t seen a lot of Mary Katrantzou on the red carpet, and moments like this make me question why. Stars need to take a note from Cate and take some risks. They usually end up paying off.
4) Elle Fanning in Valentino Spring 2018 Couture at the Berlin Film Festival Opening Ceremony: I have been thinking of this Valentino Couture moment that Elle Fanning brought to the red carpet at the opening ceremony of the Berlin Film Festival. She was there as a L’Oreal ambassador just to add some glamour to the red carpet and that is exactly what she did. I don’t think I would have ever picked this gown for Elle, but the candy color caped gown I was totally enthralled with. It was definitely a statement moment and I really do believe that Elle was the perfect person to deliver it on this red carpet. There wasn’t a thread, hair, or eyelash out of place on this look. Perfection from head to toe. 5) Nicole Kidman in custom Armani Prive Spring 2018 Couture at the Academy Awards: Nicole Kidman may not have been nominated for an Oscar this year, but she definitely won big that night. I was totally not expecting anything like this electric blue custom Armani Prive Couture gown inspired by a playsuit from the brands Spring 2018 Couture collection. It was definitely a major statement. A bolder statement than Nicole has worn on an Oscars red carpet in a long time, and it was the epitome of modern glamour. The shining fiber of the fabric, the dramatic sweetheart neckline, the big bow peplum waist, and the center split are all details of a look I never would have expected Nicole to bring to the red carpet. Again nothing was out of place in this look. The sleek hair, defined eyes, rose red lips, Fred Leighton earrings, and Christian Louboutin pumps all ensured this moment was absolutely major.
6) Lupita Nyong’o in custom Atelier Versace at the LA premiere of Black Panther: Movie tours are also a major source for Best Dressed of the Year contenders. Lupita Nyong’o knows that. She kicked off the promo tour for Black Panther in regal style wearing a custom royal purple Atelier Versace gown which features a golden harness embellishments on the shoulders and bodice of the gown. It was totally what I was expecting from her, in a way. I knew that she was going to bring some major moments to the red carpets over this tour and that is exactly what this is.
7) Emma Stone in Givenchy Resort 2019 at the NYC premiere of Maniac: Emma Stone took on the role of Louis Vuitton ambassador almost a year and a half ago. I was very disappointed with her LV looks this year. Ambassadorships ruin peoples style typically, but Emma also brought glamour to red carpets this year wearing Givenchy. If Emma wasn’t wearing LV it was safe to bet she was wearing Givenchy. I would almost prefer to see Emma leave LV and sign with Givenchy. The metallic bronze and gunmetal Givenchy Resort 2019 pleated lamé gown which features flutter cap sleeves, a key hole neck, and a chic floor length skirt. I loved this gown in the lookbook and Emma just really sold it to me on the red carpet. She matched her makeup to the gown and that just all made for a very glam moment. 8) Saoirse Ronan in Gucci Spring 2018 RTW at the Palm Springs Film Festival Black Tie Awards Gala: If I was going to give an awards season superlative for Most Consistent it would have gone to Saoirse Ronan. She really wowed me from the very first red carpet of the year all the way through the Oscars. She kicked off the year wearing a very chic hot pink and tangerine Gucci Spring 2018 RTW long sleeve midi dress which features embellished bows and slash cutouts and it was absolutely fantastic. It was the first time she got up there and said “HELLO WORLD I AM A REAL CONTENDER HERE.” Everything about this 80’s inspired moment from the sleek wave updo, to the pink lips, the statement Fernando Jorge earrings, and a pair of glitter Gucci sandals was perfection. It walked a red carpet almost a year ago and I love it now just as much as I did then.
9) Priyanka Chopra in custom Vivienne Westwood at the Wedding of Prince Harry & Meghan Markle: I have a feeling that when most best dressed lists come out that the look from the royal wedding of Prince Harry & Meghan Markle that will make the cut will be the brides custom Givenchy Couture gown, but that isn’t the case here. While Meghan was gorgeous I was much more impressed with a lot of the guests than I was with her gown. Her BFF Priyanka Chopra really brought the avant garde glamour to the royal chapel at Windsor Castle wearing this custom lavender Vivienne Westwood suit which features a one shoulder pencil dress layered under an asymmetrical jacket. She paired the look with a custom matching Phillip Treacy hat and Off-White x Jimmy Choo PVC and crystal chandelier pumps. Did she upstage the bride? Maybe. Was it an amazing moment? Yes.
10) Karen Gillan in custom Valentino at the Tribeca Film Festival premiere of The Party’s Just Beginning: Finishing out the list is the gorgeous Karen Gillan. She made a real statement opting to wear a custom black Valentino gown for the Tribeca Film Festival premiere of The Party’s Just Beginning. Typically we see short cocktail and casual looks on the red carpet at Tribeca, so this major gown moment was totally unexpected. I love when people push the boundaries of style norms and that is what Karen did here. The one shoulder beaded gown which looks like it is covered in stars, a ruffled detail on the shoulder, slashed bodice, and a full tulle skirt is absolutely gorgeous, but I will say that on another red carpet like Cannes, the Oscars, or the Golden Globes I don’t know if this gown would have ended up on this list, but it was the fact that Karen broke the norm that earned her this spot on my list.
Who was your best dressed this year? Leave a comment below and let me know! If I Was A Stylist is going on a brief hiatus ahead of jumping into awards season 2019! We will be back on Sunday December 23, 2018!