Last year it was the fact that I put up a Best Dressed Men of the Year list that really made me want to focus on making sure I featured more and more men this year. And I did just that. Men made it easy to want to as I feel like more and more men took risks. Stepped out of the black and navy suits on the red carpet and took chances. In most cases it paid off. We still have a long way to go. Also I almost feel like this list is an homage to some of the LGBTQ members of the Hollywood community seeing that 8 of the 10 looks on this list come from the community. I think we have made dressing “extra” for men less stigmatized and I just hope to see more and more men take risks over the next year and for years to come. But until then let us celebrate some of the most statement making looks from this year. 1) Timothee Chalamet in Alexander McQueen Fall 2018 Menswear at the London Film Festival premiere of Beautiful Boy: We have a lot of Timothee Chalamet on this list this year. I knew he was going to be special from the first time I saw him almost two years ago, and he has not let me down. He always was a fan of some of the more statement looks, but it was during the promo tour for Beautiful Boy this fall that I really got excited about his red carpet looks. He tops this years Best Dressed Men list wearing a bold navy and pink floral silk Alexander McQueen Fall 2018 Menswear suit on the red carpet at the films premiere at the London Film Festival that gave me major suit envy. This look was definitely not what I expected to see from Timmy, but he really made it a major moment. It was styled in such a relaxed way with a black v-neck t-shirt, chain necklaces, and black squared toe boots. It all just oozed relaxed swag. 2) Timothee Chalamet in custom Alexander McQueen at the San Sebastian International Film Festival premiere of Beautiful Boy: This is the first time in If I Was A Stylist history that the same person has been both the top of the list, and the second runner up. Timothee Chalamet rocked so many looks I loved this year. Again it is his signature style of great cuts and and relaxed attitude making this powder blue custom Alexander McQueen suit which features orange floral embroidery a major moment with the white button up worn sans tie and the white and red color blocked Alexander McQueen chunky sneakers that the look was paired with. It is just that mix of red carpet and street that I think Timothee loves to embrace.
3) RuPaul in custom Calvin Klein at the Primetime Emmy Awards: For his Emmy win for Outstanding Reality Show Host and Outstanding Reality Competition Program thanks to his show RuPaul’s Drag Race the man, er woman, herself rocked a perfectly fit custom Calvin Klein white double breasted suit which features a print of Warhol’s photos of the Statue of Liberty on the jacket and pants. The look was styled with a tone on tone shirt and tie and statement florescent orange Calvin Klein boots. I have always loved Ru and he really showed me why with this look.
4) Tommy Dorfman in Thom Browne at the MTV Movie & Television Awards: Tommy Dorfman is always a risk taker when it comes to fashion on the red carpet. He isn’t afraid to blur the lines on the social construction of gender and that is exactly what he did when he stepped onto the red carpet at the MTV Movie & Television Awards. This Thom Brown skirt suit was definitely not what I was expecting, but it was something that I really loved. He might have haters, especially from the religious right, but while I think they are wrong this look is oh so right. I wish I had the legs, and confidence, to pull something like this off. You can tell he doesn’t give a single fuck about what anyone else thinks. He knows he looks fierce.5) Adam Rippon in Moschino Fall 2018 Menswear at the Academy Awards: Coming off his time becoming a viral star for standing up against Mike Pence at the 2018 Winter Olympics Adam Rippon exploded everywhere. He might have only walked away from those games with a bronze medal, but he won at life in the weeks and months following. One major moment for him was when he was invited to the Oscars and he shunned the typical tuxedo for an S&M inspired tail coat tuxedo from Moschino Fall 2018 Menswear that was worn with slippers sans socks. Everything about this look is the perfect meshing of classic and sex. It breaks red carpet norms on a red carpet where men typically take fewer risks. So I laud Adam for breaking the mold on this stiff red carpet.
6) Timothee Chalamet in Louis Vuitton Spring 2019 Menswear at the LA premiere of Beautiful Boy: I am not done celebrating Timothee Chalamet yet. The boy really was beautiful over the course of this fall’s red carpets. He brought so many varried moments to the red carpet that all were statement making, but still very laid back. This red Louis Vuitton Spring 2019 Menswear suit paired with a total t-shirt and chunky winter white sneakers was one of the looks from Virgil Abloh’s debut for the brand that I really wanted to see on the red carpet, and in my own closet. Timothee really just brought the easy confidence to the red carpet in this ensemble.
7) Timothee Chalamet in custom Louis Vuitton at the Hollywood Film Awards: Now this is the last time we will see Timmy on this list. As I have now said many times I was really excited by the looks that he brought. For the Hollywood Film Awards, where he was honored with the Supporting Actor Award, he once again turned back to Louis Vuitton by Virgil Abloh to create his look. This time a custom look which was a classic black suit, but the standout here was the beaded Wizard of Oz poppy and yellow brick road t-shirt. On the runway Virgil did this beading on some of a bombers, anoraks, and hoodies. This was a little different and I loved everything about it. 8) Antoni Porowski in Balmain at the Primetime Emmy Awards: Finishing out my love of all the LGBTQ men on the red carpet this year is one of the breakout stars of the new Netflix reboot of the series Queer Eye Antoni Porowski. While he might be more known for his thirst trap Instagram’s and his love of avocados he brought some major glam to the red carpet at the Primetime Emmy Awards wearing a modern military take on the tails suit with a custom Balmain tuxedo that has a cropped shawl lapel jacket with silver buttons, the tightest tuxedo pants ever, a white shirt with silver stud buttons, and pair of metallic silver heel boots. He showed that while he might be a new face on the game, and not being the style guru on the show, that he can hang with some of the biggest names in the red carpet sphere!
9) Henry Golding in Tom Ford at the LA premiere of Crazy Rich Asians: 2018 saw a lot of breakout stars, many of them on this list. I had no idea who Henry Golding was going into the promo tour for Crazy Rich Asians, but I definitely know who he is now. He brought a lot of chic menswear moments to the red carpets this year. My favorite moment was one of his first when he stepped onto the red carpet at the LA premier of Crazy Rich Asians wearing a Tom Ford tuxedo which features an ice blue silk jacquard shawl lapel blazer. It was that statement menswear moment that really made me take notice of Henry’s style. The movie is nominated at all of the major awards events so far so I am very excited to see what he will bring next year.
10) Chadwick Boseman in Givenchy Spring 2018 Couture at the Academy Awards: Rounding out this list is Black Panther himself, Chadwick Boseman. Chadwick brought so many major moments to the red carpet this year I had a hard time picking the look from him that I really wanted to feature on this list. I decided that it was going to be the first Givenchy Couture menswear red carpet moment that was what I loved the most. He, like Adam Rippon, shunned a traditional tuxedo for the Oscars. I loved his Givenchy Spring 2018 Couture crystal beaded coat paired with a vicars collar button down and simple black pants. It was not anything I was expecting on this red carpet and I really think that he delivered it.
2018 was a major year for menswear on the red carpet and I hope that 2019 just continues to see men pushing the boundaries of style on the red carpet. Which dude delivered the best look this year for you?