September was choc full of major events from the Venice and Toronto Film Festivals to the Emmy Awards, but I have to say that aside from singular looks I wasn’t as impressed with them in comparison to looks not from those events. I had such a hard time flushing out all of my favorite looks and narrowing them down to just 10, but I did it. So here we go my 10 favorite looks from September 2018!1) Lady Gaga wearing custom Givenchy Couture at the LA premiere of A Star Is Born: Lady Gaga topped the Best Dressed lists for both the Venice and Toronto Film Festivals with her Valentino and Armani Prive premiere looks that she wore while promoting A Star Is Born. She is a major contender for my Best Promo Tour of the Year award especially given the major looks she wore on the red carpet at the films independent premieres in LA and London in the last week of the month. I was absolutely enamored with the custom silver lace Givenchy couture gown with matching dramatic cape that she wore for the films premiere in LA. The gown was a nod to a costume worn by Barbara Streisand in her 1979 iteration of the film and it was the perfect tribute to a music and film legend. Her old Hollywood waves, winged eyeliner, bold red lips, and Bulgari diamonds all just ensure that Gaga was on top of the glamour game. 2) Emma Stone in Givenchy Resort 2019 at the New York premiere of Maniac: It has been almost a year sine Emma Stone was signed as a Louis Vuitton spokes model. Aside from her first moment in the brand at the London Film Festival I haven’t been a huge fan. I was so excited when I saw the pictures from the Maniac premiere in New York start to come in and I saw that she decided to step out of LV for the night wearing this metallic gunmetal and copper ombré Givenchy Resort 2019 pleated gown which features a flutter sleeve and a chest cut out. It was a glimpse of the Emma that I always loved and adored and I definitely think that she was the perfect person to bring this gown to life on the red carpet. Her red hair compliment the gown perfectly and her makeup artist continued the tones in the gown and it all just made for an absolutely major moment for this premiere.
3) Beyonce in custom Peter Pilotto at the Houston stop on the On The Run II tour: The fashion that Beyonce has been delivering while on tour with Jay-Z has been absolutely amazing, but when she stepped out onto the stage in her hometown of Houston wearing a custom pink and orange Peter Pilotto suit covered in Swarovski crystals I was in awe. She has never taken a look from a music video and worn it as a look in her tour wardrobe in the past, and that was almost the case here. She wore a sparkling version of a suit (that came down the runway) that she wore in an iconic shot from her and Jay’s “Apeshit” video in front of the Mona Lisa. It was such an unexpected moment for a tour look & I think that’s why I loved it so much.
4) Danai Gurira in Iris Van Herpen Fall 2017 Couture at the LA premiere of The Walking Dead Season 9: Speaking of unexpected moments I don’t think I EVER would have thought of wishing for Danai Gurira to wear this black and grey Iris Van Herpen Fall 2017 Couture cocktail dress, especially not for a Season 9 premiere of a television show. I was shocked that this was what Danai chose for this red carpet and that is exactly why it made this list. She really took a risk, and I know that it won’t be to everyone’s taste, but I always say go big or go home and she definitely took a risk that paid off (for me at least.)5) Elle Fanning in custom Miu Miu at the Deauville American Film Festival premiere of Galveston: Elle Fanning was the first person I fell in love with on the red carpet in September. She attended the Deauville American Film Festival premiere of Galveston wearing a pale yellow custom Miu Miu gown which features a satin bralet bustier, crystal beading, a chic bow, and a pleated chiffon a-line skirt that just was perfection from head to toe. Elle and Miu Miu are just a match made in heaven and I know that it this is definitely something that I’ll keep coming back to over the year as I think about who I want to be on my Best Dressed of the Year list.
6) Cardi B in Christian Cowan Spring 2019 RTW at the ETAM Fashion Show: Call me crazy, but I am absolutely obsessed with Cardi B. I have been LOVING everything that she does. She won big at the VMA’s and came out on top of the NYFW fight with Nicki Minaj. She always likes to make a statement with her looks and I knew that. This lilac Christian Cowan Spring 2019 RTW suit with a feather stole was actually a wish that I had made for Cardi in my 15 Looks From New York Fashion Week I Want To See On The Red Carpet post and she just proved me right when she stepped out to perform at the ETAM Fashion Show during Paris Fashion Week.
7) Paris Hilton in Pamella Roland Resort 2019 at the Clara Lionel Foundation Diamond Ball: At the beginning of the month if you had told me that when I was coming up with my best dressed of the month that I was going to have Paris Hilton on the list I would have looked at you cross-eyed. She has never been one of my favorites to see on the red carpet, but when she stepped out on the red carpet at the Clara Lionel Foundation’s Diamond Ball wearing this blush Pamella Roland Resort 2019 sequin and feather gown which features a sheath silhouette with an illusion neckline and beaded fringe sleeves I was enamored. Regular readers will know I LOVE a feather moment on the red carpet and Pamella Roland is a master at using feathers and this is just a major explanation of that. Paris’s sister Nicky Hilton was actually the one who styled her and I was incredibly taken with this sickly sweet glamorous moment. 8) Iman in Ralph Lauren at the Ralph Lauren 50th Anniversary Fashion Show: I was not expecting what I was given when I was watching the Ralph Lauren 50th Anniversary Fashion Show. The show was so star studded that people who we usually see front row like Steven Kolb, the CEO of the CFDA, were pushed to the second row. Everyone was there and everyone looked amazing. I’m surprised that only one look from the event made the list. Iman just exuded glamour and ease wearing a khaki safari jacket over a gold sequin slip gown with statement gold jewels and a teased out afro. It really defined the Ralph Lauren aesthetic and Iman just wore it with effortless ease.
9) Gemma Chan in Simone Rocha Fall 2018 RTW at the London premiere of Crazy Rich Asians: While I was really excited for the promo tour for Crazy Rich Asians I was really disappointed with what was actually delivered. I was very interested in seeing what couture moments these ladies were going to bring to the red carpet but I was just underwhelmed with the fits of many of the looks. I was however enamored with the nude Simone Rocha Fall 2018 RTW floral embroidered midi dress which features a peter pan collar and short sleeves that Gemma Chan wore for the films screening in London. I really loved that she let the dress be the focus coordinating her lips, bag, and shoes with the red roses embroidered on the dress.
10) Dakota Johnson in custom Gucci at the LA premiere of Bad Times at the El Royale: I may have been rather disappointed with the gown that Dakota Johnson wore for the Venice Film Festival, but when she stepped onto the black carpet at the LA premiere of Bad Times at the El Royale wearing this custom rose pink Gucci tulle crystal embellished tiered gown she totally redeemed herself. She was the queen of fairy glamour in this gown and it might be a personal best for Dakota’s style. I want to see more and more of this side of her on the red carpet. Flirtatious and glamorous.