July is typically a pretty slow month, and that was kinda the tune again this year. Typically my Best Dressed of July list is full of street style moments, but this year while there were only 50 looks I considered for this list this month (compared to 91 in June, 306 in May, 66 in April, and 184 in March) but stars really brought the glam to both the red carpets and the sidewalks. Could any of these looks keep the glam in my mind all the way to my Best Dressed of the Year list? Who knows! It has happened before. 1) Ciara in Maticevski Fall 2018 RTW at the 2018 ESPY Awards: Ciara really wowed me when she stepped onto the red carpet at the ESPY Awards early last month. She set the bar high and no one surpassed her. I don’t typically get all that excited about looks we see on the ESPY Awards red carpet, but the wife of NFL superstar quarterback Russell Wilson played the role of the perfect plus one in a statement making marigold and white Maticevski Fall 2018 RTW gown which features an asymmetric neckline with one sleeve elegantly slipping off the shoulder. The origami draping provided this structured glamour that did not feel stiff and her PVC and gold spike studded Christian Louboutin ‘Spikoo’ pumps just added a very subtle edgy touch to this incredibly glamorous moment. 2) Beyonce in Valentino Fall 2018 Couture during her On The Run II Tour: When I watched the Valentino Fall 2018 Couture show and I saw Adut Akech close wearing a stunning marigold silk taffeta gown which features voluminous sleeves I started to wonder who would wear it. Mr. Valentino himself stood and applauded when this gown came down the runway and it brought Tracee Ellis Ross to tears. I thought that would mean that this was going to be her Emmy’s gown, but then almost as fast as I fell in love with this gown that Beyonce snatched it up and added it into her tour wardrobe for her and Jay-Z’s On The Run II tour. It is very different than the typical looks that we see from Bey while on stage during her tour. We usually see her wearing crystal embellished bodysuits, booty shorts, and mini dresses, but this is the exact opposite of that. I love the drama and the fact that it was totally unexpected!
3) Amy Adams in Gabriela Hearst Resort 2019 leaving The View: Amy Adams has been out doing all kinds of press for her HBO mini series Sharp Objects. I haven’t watched anything of the show beyond the first episode, just haven’t been able to be in the right head space to really follow it, but I have been following Amy’s style. It has been exactly what we come to expect from her, but when she foes everything right from head to toe I really fall in love. That is exactly what happened here when she was spotted leaving The View wearing a custom Gabriela Hearst Resort 2019 floral print shirt style dress which features contrast prints in the pleats on the skirt. Her waves, oversized sunglasses, a cream Carolina Santo Domingo ‘Amphora’ bag, and Jimmy Choo ‘Hesper’ sandals all perfectly complimented this look. This is the first look that Amy has worn in a really long time that has gotten me excited.
4) Michelle Monaghan in Valentino Resort 2019 at the Mission: Impossible – Fallout Paris Premiere: I was really excited for an international promo tour from Michelle Monaghan as she promoted Mission: Impossible – Fallout, but she only stepped out for the world premiere in Paris in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower. When you nail it as good as she did wearing a periwinkle blue Valentino Resort 2019 ruffled eyelet gown you don’t really need to continue a tour. This gown as totally not what I was expecting to see Michelle bring to this tour, but I feel like it totally worked. She brought this effortless ease to the glamour of the night and totally took my breath away. 5) Mandy Moore in Missoni leaving Jimmy Kimmel Live!: In the lead up to the premiere of The Darkest Minds we had seen Mandy Moore really work the circuit. She kicked off July making the front row rounds during Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week and then on the promo trail just delivering major look after major look. She swapped stylists right before this all happened to start working with Cristina Ehrlich (who dresses Tina Fey, Laura Dern, Penelope Cruz, and Greta Gerwig) and the two have been making sartorial magic together. I loved pretty much everything that Mandy has worn in July, but this multicolored fringe Missoni dress which she was seen wearing leaving Jimmy Kimmel Live! was definitely the highlight. I love this fun and summery dress. Some might think that it is too formal for a talk show, but I always believe in go big or go home. I also love that Mandy paired the dress with a complimentary pair of colorful Jimmy Choo sandals.
6) Alison Brie in Vivienne Westwood at the 2018 ESPY Awards: I was shocked that I loved not one (Ciara’s Maticevski gown) but TWO looks on the red carpet at the 2018 ESPY Awards. I really would have never expected to see a custom Vivienne Westwood Couture gown on this red carpet, but that is exactly what Alison Brie delivered on this red carpet. The actress, who plays a female wrestler from the 80’s in the Netflix series GLOW, was one of the nights non-sports star presenters and I think that she really brought it with this gown. It was totally unexpected. Usually actresses wear very simple and sexy cocktail dresses from brands like David Koma or Cushnie et Ochs so this soft pink embellished gown is the opposite end of the spectrum, and it totally worked.
7) Celine Dion in Calvin Klein seen on Instagram: Celine Dion is currently on tour in Asia and she is delivering her looks on Instagram instead of daily shots of her leaving her hotels like it was last summer during her European tour. The superstar singer has expensive taste and brings major fashion moments to all aspects of her life anymore from the red carpet to the sidewalk to her Instagram account. On July 31 Celine posted a shot on Instagram of her wearing a red plaid Calvin Klein asymmetric midi dress and a pair of red Off-White C/O Jimmy Choo ‘Elisabeth’ plastic wrap effect boots. Only Celine could make me really love this look. I would say to most pick one either the dress or the boots, but Celine makes it a major fashion moment. As she so often does. 8) Sarah Paulson in Calvin Klein at San Diego Comic-Con 2018: In my final wishes for San Diego Comic-Con 2018 I said “A Comic-Con look has never made my Best Dressed of the Year list, but I never say never.” Well there were quite a few really chic moments that were seen at panels over the course of the convention, but it was Sarah Paulson who rock pink and red Calvin Klein leather for the Glass panel who could be the first to really make me consider putting a Comic-Con look on my Best Dressed of the year list. The misty rose pink leather police shirt, geranium red nylon skirt, and yellow and white suede wing-back sandals is edgy yet glam and definitely one of the most statement making looks we saw over the course of Comic-Con. Leave it to Sarah to really wow me.
9) Meghan, Duchess of Sussex in Christian Dior Couture at the RAF Centenary Ceremony: I have to say that while I have all the admiration for Meghan Markle as a woman and believe in what she stands for I don’t fawn over her style like most. With almost all of her looks, including her wedding gowns, I have had issues with fit or proportion. There was absolutely nothing I could say about how flawless this navy blue Christian Dior Couture long sleeve dress which features a watteau neckline and a knee length a-line skirt was. The dress is nothing fashion forward but the fit was perfect and it was perfectly complimented by a Stephen Jones Millinery fascinator, a matching Dior clutch, Cartier diamond earrings, and a pair of nude pumps. It isn’t a boundary pushing look, but when classic elegance is done with all the details painstakingly put together it can be very chic.
10) Princess Charlene of Monaco in Atelier Versace at the 2018 Monaco Red Cross Ball: When it comes to royals arguably Princess Charlene of Monaco is the most fashion forward (maybe only beat out by Queen Rania of Jordan.) Princess Charlene is dressed by some of the most fashion forward houses including Dior, Chanel, Akris, Armani, and of course Versace. She once again opted for an Atelier Versace look for the annual Monaco Red Cross Ball this year opting for sexy mermaid vibes with her fish scale embellished mermaid silhouette gown which features a plunging neckline made a little more modest with some beading draped across it. She knows how to carry herself in this gown for sure. She just exudes regality and not going down an overtly sexy route with presenting this gown. It just totally works, from head to toe.