December 1, 2016 to November 30, 2017. That was the period over which I considered all of the possibilities for who could make this list. Over those 12 months I narrowed down over 1,300 nominees to 10 looks each month and from every major event (except Cannes where I narrowed it down to 21.) From there I pooled all of those best dressed lists to figure out my 10 favorite looks of the year. Narrowing down was no easy feat, but ultimately I found myself extremely happy with this years list. It might be my most glamorous one yet.1) Jennifer Lopez in Valentino Couture: As I thought of the looks this year the custom Tiffany blue Valentino Couture gown that Jennifer Lopez wore for the 2017 Met Gala was usually the first look to come to mind. The gown oozed glamour, drama, and elegance. While the gown might not have been the most on theme for this years gala it was the most impactful. I found it very interesting that when all was said and done that Jennifer was the only person to make an appearance on not only the Best of the Year list, but the worst. This Valentino look is how to do sex appeal without having everything hang out and I think that Jennifer really just embodied the persona of a 60’s socialite wearing this gown. 2) Aishwarya Rai in Ralph & Russo Spring 2017 Couture: I think that giving Aishwayra Rai a spot on this years list, especially so high up, was bolstered by the fact that that she made one of my wishes come true this year. When I was watching the livestream of the Cannes Film Festival red carpet and I got the first grainy look at Aishwarya wearing this dramatic Ralph & Russo Spring 2017 Couture I started to jump for joy. I had put this very gown on my wish list for Aishwayra to wear during her L’Oreal duties in Cannes, and the final product was much more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. The perfect waves of her hair and the dark red lip all really made this one of Aishwayra’s best Cannes moments ever.
3) Jennifer Lawrence in Atelier Versace Fall 2017 Couture: When it comes to her red carpet style any time JLaw wears anything but Dior I am surprised, so when she stepped onto the red carpet at the Mother! premiere in London wearing an Atelier Versace Fall 2017 Couture shipwreck couture gown giving major sexy vibes. As a face of Dior we usually see Jennifer wearing very chic and lady like looks so this rare outing of Jennifer’s sultry side was an amazing and refreshing change of pace. Jennifer looked more confident wearing this gown than she has in many, many years and I am only hoping that we see her continuing to have more fun with fashion.
4) Nicole Kidman in Calvin Klein by Appointment: At the beginning of the year I don’t think I would have ever pictured Nicole Kidman being among my favorites of the year. When she stepped out for the Cannes Film Festival premiere of her film The Killing of a Sacred Deer wearing a black and white Calvin Klein by Appointment tea length gown with a top that reminds me of Rudi Gernreich and a tulle skirt that would make any ballerina jealous I knew that there was a new side of Nicole that we were about to see. This was the change in pace that I was so desperately needing from her style and she definitely wore it with regal grace and ease. The sleek hair, red lip, and Calvin Klein pumps all added the perfect finishing touches to this absolutely amazing red carpet moment. 5) Cara Delevingne in Chanel Spring 2017 Couture: The Met Gala this year was a great source of Best Dressed nominees. While JLo opted not to follow the theme of the red carpet and landed at the top of the list Cara Delevinge did and bookends the top 5 looks of the year. At the time I was saving this silver beaded Chanel Spring 2017 Couture suit for Kristen Stewart to wear in Cannes, but when Cara stepped onto the Met red carpet wearing this gown with a silver painted bald head all I could do was scream YASSSSSSSSS. The look was bold and avant garde which is everything I expect to see on the Met Gala red carpet. This look stood out amongst the sea of gowns and cocktail dresses and Cara totally sold this look from head to toe.
6) Ruth Negga in Valentino Spring 2017 RTW: This fantasy embroidered Valentino Spring 2017 RTW gown that Ruth Negga was the first real contender for Best Dressed of the Year worn all the way back on January 2nd. I fell in love with this gown and it really cemented Ruth as a fashion powerhouse. The gown was light and fantastical and was the perfect look to kick off her award season run in. Ruth was one of the biggest stars of the night and she definitely shown the brightest.
7) Emma Stone in custom Givenchy Couture: Going into the Oscars I had been kinda underwhelmed with what Emma Stone had worn on the red carpet. We knew that the odds of her taking home the statue were very good. So when she stepped onto the red carpet at the Academy Awards this year wearing a custom golden fringe Givenchy Couture column gown looking like a walking Oscar statue I gleamed with glamour. This look was everything I could have expected and more. There was not train to fuss with or trip over and the color of the gown complimented the statue on the stage and in the press room. The photos of Emma in this gown will be iconic forever and she definitely did herself proud. 8) Amal Clooney in Halpern Spring 2018 RTW: I don’t usually consider Halloween costumes for Best Dressed nominees, but this year the theme around Hollywood for Halloween was a high fashion air and was all about the glamour. Amal Clooney really embodied that idea perfectly when she stepped out for the Casamigos disco themed Halloween bash wearing a hot off the runway Halpern Spring 2018 RTW with a full curly afro wig, oversized sunnies, and a hot pink Judith Leiber satin clutch. To this point I was considering one of the Atelier Versace gowns she wore while supporting George this year, but this look was just so damn exciting that I couldn’t get it out of my mind.
9) Diane Kruger in Tory Burch Resort 2018: I couldn’t let gowns completely dominate my Best of the Year list. Only once (way back in 2011) did my 10 favorite looks of the year consist of only gowns. Leave it to Diane Kruger to give that major high fashion moment in a more laid back manner. When Diane Kruger stepped out for the European Filmmakers Lunch during the Venice Film Festival wearing a beautiful tribal beaded Tory Burch Resort 2018 shift dress which she paired with strappy flat sandals and chic sunnies she really made this the perfect ladies who luncheon ensemble. Diane is always a favorite having made two appearances of Best of the Year lists in the past, and this just proves her style chops.
10) Thandie Newton in custom Monse: Last but not least is the always beautiful Thandie Newton. I was super excited to see that Thandie was back on the red carpet scene following the critically acclaimed success of Westworld. Thandie has always been one of the best dressed stars on the red carpet so when she kicked off her year wearing a custom Monse gown inspired by the brands Spring 2017 RTW collection for the Golden Globe Awards and really gave the total ‘I’m back bitches’ look a go. This is the perfect example of modern glamour and it fit her perfectly. Sleek hair and Tiffany & Co. jewels all rounded this look out total perfection.
I will be taking the next few days off before coming back and tackling all the events that will take place to kick off award season. I hope you guys like my Best Dressed of the Year list. I would love to hear your thoughts on my ranking. Is there anyone you would have liked to see here? Leave some comments and let me know your thoughts. Thank you guys for coming back and reading everything that I write. This website is a labor of love and it is knowing that others are enjoying reading it that keeps me coming back.