With Paris Couture Fashion Week kicking off today I figured it was a time to do a round-up of the Resort 2018 collection. The Resort 2018 collections kicked off with the Grecian themed Chanel Cruise 2018 presentation almost a month ago back on May 3 and since then we have seen over 130 designers present collections. The format of the presentations of these collections vastly vary. Mega brands like Chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton, and Gucci make the resort season a mega spectacle seizing the opportunity to host big destination shows around the world. Other brands opt for lookbooks and personal presentations. You can debate the merits of each all day, but overwhelmingly we can all agree that this season was amazing. There wasn’t a single day over the last 2 months that I haven’t found myself saying “I don’t know how these designers keep topping one another” with regards to absolutely amazing Resort 2018 collections. I was in a famine of glamour, sick of looking at the same things and not being in love with anything anymore and these collections really brought me back to life. I was lit up with glamour and elegance. I have save 1,600 pictures of looks from these collections that I want to see on a red carpet. From casual looks perfect for street style and appearances on talk shows to cocktail dresses and gowns that should be optioned for fall film festivals and the Emmy Awards all just waiting to be seen on a wish list. You can only imagine how hard it was narrowing down 1,600 looks to just 20, but I did it. Bellow are 20 of the looks that I most want to see on the red carpets over the next couple of months, in alphabetical order. 1) Alexis Mabille: When it comes to Alexis Mabille I usually only get excited about the brands couture and pre-collections. The French designer does glamour extremely well and these collections really just give beautiful look after beautiful look. Sadly we don’t often see Alexis Mabille on the red carpet, but with some of the European festivals coming up this fall we may see a few of the designers confections on the red carpet. I would love to see this white and blue floral print trumpet gown which features a bow embellished neckline and a defined white waistband on the back of the gorgeous Berenice Bejo, who wore a custom gown by the designer at the Cannes Film Festival premiere of Redoubtable. Berenice could wear this gown and work it with a feminine ease on a red carpet of a premiere or for a black tie party during any of the fall festivals. A chic updo, pink lip, smokey eye, navy clutch, silver sandals, and diamond cluster earring would add the perfect finishing touches to make this a beautiful moment.
2) Antonio Berardi: I used to love Antonio Berardi, but it has been a long time since I was really blown away by one of the designers collections. Now with that said I have had pieces that I have really liked and this light blue edgy take on a peasant gown is one of those pieces. The moment I saw it I just saw it on supermodel Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. Now that Rosie has given birth this could be a great look for her to wear on her first postpartum red carpet.
3) Chanel: Regular readers will know that I was obsessed with the Chanel Cruise 2018 collection. The chic way that Karl infused classic Greek motifs and styles into the Chanel woman was definitely standing ovation worthy. There are so many looks in this collection that I want to see on the red carpet, and we have already seen several worn. Ellie Bamber, Kristen Stewart, Lily Rose Depp, Monica Bellucci, and Marion Cotillard have all worn looks from the collection on the red carpet already. I am repeating a wish that I made for Nicole Kidman to wear for the Cannes premiere of The Killing of a Sacred Deer with this gold and black tired strapless gown with a gold, bejeweled belt as the look from the collection I most want to see on the red carpet. This gown is edgy and glamorous and I think that the Nicole that we have seen on the red carpet recently would wear this gown with ease.
4) Christian Dior: I had some harsh words for Maria Grazia Chiuri’s Cruise 2018 collection for Dior. I loved it overall, but I was fatigued with the repeating of the same style in different fabrics, colors, and textures. With that being said the look from the collection that I most want to see on the red carpet is a variation on the same a-line midi dress that we have seen over and over again from Maria Grazia Chiuri since she took the helm at Dior. What makes this look different is that the dress covered in red feathers breathes a new life into this dress, in a style that is becoming tired really fast. I think that Emma Stone would definitely rock this dress on the red carpet. I know that she is a platinum blonde right now, but I think that if she went back to red that then this would be a perfect look for her. If not I think that Naomi Watts or Naomie Harris would also be great contenders to really bring this dress to life on the red carpet. 5) David Koma: The David Koma Resort 2018 collection was one of my favorites of all the collections presented this season. It was the British based designers heavy use of feathers that made me LOVE this collection. Regular readers will know that if it has a feather I am probably going to love it and that was definitely the case with this collection. The modern yet seemingly 60’s inspired designs in this collection are definitely bound to the red carpet on the backs off all different starlets. It was hard to pick a favorite look from this collection but the opening look with this white feather embellished mini dress with black button details was really the stand out look from this collection. I can see Lea Michele giving us her best diva moment wearing this dress on the red carpet. Maybe for the premiere of the next season of Scream Queens? Lea knows how to make moments happen and this is a moment that needs to be made.
6) Elizabeth Kennedy: When it comes to red carpet dressing Elizabeth Kennedy is definitely one to watch. The designer came out of nowhere last year and dressed two stars for the 2016 Golden Globe Awards. Since then we have seen Elizabeth’s designs on many different red carpets including the Oscar and the Met Gala. Recently Elizabeth Kennedy started being represented by VIP PR firm laChambre which also places brands like Elie Saab, Osman, and Sophie Theallet on the red carpet. I have a great feeling about what that will mean for the future of Elizabeth Kennedy. Zendaya is the one that I would trust to bring this palm green bow neck smocked ball gown to life on the red carpet. This dramatic and glamorous moment would definitely be a very chic moment for Zendaya to rock on the red carpet.
7) Faith Connexion: I have just recently started to take notice of Paris based brand Faith Connexion. The brand really knows how to do edgy and sexy. We haven’t really seen any of the brand on the red carpet, but there was one gown in the labels Resort 2018 collection that I really want to see on the red carpet. I remember how much Maeve Reilly fawned over the brands Fall 2017 RTW collection back in March during Paris Fashion Week which I think is why Hailey Baldwin was the first person that came to mind to rock this gown on the red carpet. This dress definitely needs a rebel glam girl to rock it on a red carpet and I think that Hailey would more than make this look werk.
8) Gabriela Hearst: Rebecca Hall gave us our first look at the Gabriela Hearst 2018 collection when she wore a cocktail dress from the collection as a guest of the designer at the 2017 CFDA Awards. I think that Rebecca is the perfect person to bring my (other) favorite look from the collection to life on the red carpet. This coral linen suit is cool, especially in how the lookbook stylist tucked the blazer into the pants and turned down the waist on one side. I think that just makes this look special and not your average run of the mill double breasted suit. Gabriela Hearst is definitely one of the brands that is really gaining traction among celebrities with Laura Dern, Emma Watson, and Cynthia Erivo also wearing looks from the label on the red carpet this year. 9) Gucci: The Gucci Cruise 2018 was surrounded by controversy when Alessandro Michele refused to credit the inspiration that he took from hip hop culture. I have to say that this wasn’t my favorite collections that Alessandro has presented, but there were a few really good potential red carpet moments. There are definitely a few much more wearable looks that I could have picked as the look I need to see on the red carpet from this collection but I am in love with this cornflower blue and gold silk brocade gown which features puffy sleeves, a ruffled hem, and a red and black silk floral belted waist. I know that this is a look that I probably will never get to feature in a wish list, but I really want to see Elle Fanning rock this gown on a red carpet. Elle has the effortless grace to really make this a beautiful moment on the red carpet and I think that for some sort of gala that it would be perfection.
10) Johanna Ortiz: Elevated classics. That is what I think of when I think of Johanna Ortiz. The Colombian designer has been showing amazing pieces that fit in on everything from the sidewalk to the red carpet for seasons and we are slowly seeing celebs and stylists bring this brand out to play more and more. I really fell in love with one of the more casual look from the Johanna Ortiz Resort 2018 collection with this ensemble which features a denim button down and a plaid wool midi wrap style skirt. This look would be perfect for a photocall, talk show appearance, or for sidewalk style and I think that Indian beauty Priyanka Chopra would be the perfect person to really bring this look to life.
11) Marchesa: Marchesa has been delivering some really amazing collections for their pre-collections and the Resort 2018 collection was chock full of gowns and cocktail looks that we are undoubtedly going to see a lot of on the red carpets in the coming months. Ruffles and frills are a signature at Marchesa and I was taken with this raspberry strapless ombre high low cocktail dress and it is probably the look that I want to see on the red carpet the most. I want to see the gorgeous Gwen Stefani bring this look to life. I think that she could take this chic and flirty look and inject a dose of edgy glam into it.
12) Martin Grant: Martin Grant is a brand that I love that doesn’t get much love on the red carpet. The brand is based out of Paris and is known for its structured take on elevated classics. The designers Resort 2018 collection was chic and elegant with a dose of youthful flair and there are definitely a few looks with great potential to be chic red carpet moments. This black and ivory strapless high low gown would be a chic look for the now former Pretty Little Liars star Lucy Hale to wear on the red carpet. 13) Monse: I love Monse and I have since Fernando Garcia and Laura Kim launched the label in September 2015. For Resort 2018 the label really focused on a more casual look and I was worried we wouldn’t see much of it on the red carpet. Right after I had that sentiment Natalia Vodinova wore a look from the collection for Paris Men’s Fashion Week and it ended up on the top of my Best Dressed of June 2017 list. It gave me hope that we will really see some of these looks brought to life and not separated and turned into street style looks during fashion weeks. Sarah Jessica Parker has a love affair with Monse and I think that she would definitely show up on a red carpet or a talk show appearance wearing this plaid jacket dress with a convertible zip peplum design, and an asymmetrical hemline, topped off with a red and white racing stripe belt. You can definitely see it as a nod to her former Sex and the City character.
14) Nina Ricci: Every season recently I have been in love with Nina Ricci and the Resort 2018 collection was just another beautiful moment for the label. The collection seemed to take inspiration from Marie Antoinette, Dior’s “New Look,” Grace Kelly, and Mardi Gras. While all of these might not all seem like they would mesh well together, this collection was absolutely beautiful. I have actually already posted this lemon yellow cocktail dress with exaggerated hips for the gorgeous Kirsten Dunst to wear for the NYC screening of The Beguiled. Kirsten is one of the only one’s who I really think has the potential to really give this dress the red carpet moment. The exaggerated hips need someone who can deliver presence through the dress, and I know that Kirsten could wear this dress and not let it wear her.
15) Philosophy di Lorenzo Serafini: When it comes to Philosophy di Lorenzo Serafini I have liked the collections and the custom gowns, but nothing has ever made get so excited that I would put it on a must see list. Until now. This rainbow striped ruffled one shoulder top and black leather pants is edgy and youthful. It was the first look in the lookbook and it really made me want to continue to flip through the rest of the collection. We have seen Philosophy on the red carpet more and more and I really want to see this look on a red carpet and I think that Yara Shahidi would more than do it justice.
16) Reem Acra: A few season I had started to write off Reem Acra as an over designed label, but the past few collections have returned my faith in the designer. Reem’s Resort 2018 collection was an absolutely beautiful display of formal wear that could span all different types of red carpets. We have already seen Adriana Lima wear a gown from the collection during the Cannes Film Festival and I am sure that we will continue to see the collections on the red carpet. Taylor Swift has been pretty much in hiding since her 1989 world tour ended last year. I am hearing rumors that she is gearing up to release new music and I think that for one of the award shows that Taylor would look so chic going the glam route wearing this light powder blue chiffon gown with a dazzling crystal embellished back. 17) Rochas: I am a lover of Rochas. The French label always delivers full glamour in it’s collections and Resort 2018 was no different. Everything in this collection screams high glam and I know that there are several red carpet moments waiting to come from this collection. We only see Rochas on the red carpet intermittently, but when we do I usually find myself absolutely drawn to the statuesque glamour that is conveyed. The gorgeous Naomie Harris would definitely take this golden yellow strapless gown which features an empire waist silhouette, a-line skirt, and a jeweled dragonfly detail on the bodice and deliver it as an absolutely beautiful moment.
18) Rosie Assoulin: Over the last few season Rosie Assoulin has become a celebrity favorite on the red carpet. With celebrity fans like Michelle Monaghan, Rihanna, Karlie Kloss, and Margot Robbie the brand has continued to receive some major coverage. Rosie delivers some absolutely awesome bohemian meets high glam looks and they make for some beautiful moments on the red carpet. Olivia Wilde is another of the brands famous friends and I think that she would definitely rock this rainbow lamé pleated halter gown for a premiere or one of the more laid back award shows.
19) Valentino: Valentino the brand which has gone from ladies who lunch to bohemian glamour went sporty for Resort 2018. Pierpaolo Piccioli staged his Resort 2018 show in a very simple studio space in New York City and let the looks do all the talking. In the last year Vogue did a feature on how Valentino has become the brand that has dominated street style and there are definitely quite the range of pieces from this collection that will dominate the street style set during fashion weeks. While the collection has a lot of street style potential there is also a lot of red carpet potential as well. I want to see the gorgeous and androgynous Tilda Swinton attend a photocall or make a late night appearance wearing this red and orange pleated midi long sleeve dress. The sporty yet glam vibe of this look make it something that I can totally picture Tilda wearing.
20: Victoria Victoria Beckham: Rounding out this list is this gorgeous orange sequin short sleeve shift dress from the Victoria Victoria Beckham Resort 2018 collection. I have started to love the Victoria Victoria Beckham collection more than the main Victoria Beckham collection. I think that the full glam that the Victoria Beckham collection was founded on is seen more in the Victoria Victoria Beckham collection than in the main line anymore. While we don’t often see the Victoria Victoria Beckham collection on the red carpet this orange dress needs a red carpet moment. I think that someone with a pale skin tone like Kate Bosworth would really let this dress shine.
Are you as excited as I am to see these Resort 2018 looks on the red carpet? Which look is your favorite and who do you want to see wearing it on the red carpet?