The 2017 Cannes Film Festival came to a close yesterday and I am already feeling a drought of glamour. I went into this years festival with the expectations that it was going to be the best year yet, and I was not disappointed. It seemed like everyone brought their absolute best to the red carpets at the Palais de Festivals and the accompanying parties that went along with the premieres of this years edition. I was a little disappointed that we did not see more of stellar style stars and jury members Jessica Chastain and Fan Bingbing, but they still brought it to the red carpet. Usually I just do a best dressed list that features just 10 looks but after considering almost 300 looks over the course of the 14 days of this years festival for my best dressed list I could only narrow it down to just 21. 1) Aishwarya Rai in Ralph & Russo Spring 2017 Couture: I knew the second that I saw Aishwarya step onto the side of the red carpet before walking up the famous steps of the Palais that this was going to be the top of my best of Cannes list. I had a gut feeling that Aishwarya was going to snatch this look up, it was on my wish list for her, and she definitely did not let me down. Everything about this look was total perfection there wasn’t a hair out of place. This was Aishwarya embodying the red dress dancing lady emoji perfectly. 2) Nicole Kidman in Calvin Klein by Appointment: Nicole was one of the MVP’s of this years festivals. We saw Nicole attend 5 photocalls, 3 premieres, the 70th Anniversary celebration, and the amfAR Gala. Over the course of the festival Nicole wore nine different looks and there wasn’t a misstep with any of them. My favorite of all of her looks was the edgy black and white Calvin Klein by Appointment ballerina gown that she wore for the premiere of her film The Killing of a Sacred Deer. The moment I saw this gown on Nicole I was immediately drawn to the Rudi Gernreich meets Audrey Hepburn appeal of the gown. I never in a million years would have thought of this gown for Nicole, but it was an absolutely major moment that I am sure will stick with me through the year.
3) Diane Kruger in Christian Dior Couture: I was expecting three looks from Diane at this years festival, but all in all she delivered six gorgeous looks this year. My favorite of all of them was the custom Christian Dior Couture gown that Diane wore for the festivals 70th Anniversary celebration. Having served on a jury in the past and having a film in competition Diane flew into Cannes early just to partake in the celebration. This fairy queen smokey lilac gown which features celestial embroidery was one of the few Dior gowns that I really loved over the course of the festival. I think that had anyone else worn this like Diane did infusing a bit of 90’s glam rocker grunge to the look that I would have hated it, but she make it work.
4) Fan Bingbing in Atelier Versace Spring 2017 Couture: It was going to be a hard reach for Fan Bingbing to make this years best of Cannes list. I had really high expectations for the gorgeous Chinese actress, who is usually one of my favorites, but she played a more subtle role this year as a member of the jury. While none of her looks would have made a worst dressed list they just didn’t really live up to the expectations that I had set for Fan to bring to the red carpet this year. It was her last look in this gorgeous steel blue Atelier Versace Spring 2017 Couture at the festivals Closing Ceremony yesterday that finally made me say WOW. I figured that after no one wore this gown to the Met Gala that it was going to be left in the Atelier Versace archives, but Fan brought her glam mermaid to the red carpet and blew me away. Thank you for that. 5) Aishwarya Rai in Michael Cinco Fall 2017 Couture: There are only a few stars who find themselves featured on this list twice and Aishwarya was one. I was so blown away with all of the looks that Aishwarya wore over the course of the festival that I couldn’t not feature more than one on this years best of Cannes list. At the Okja premiere Aishwayra stepped onto the red carpet at the Palais wearing the most Cinderella like gown that I think we have ever seen on a red carpet. This ice blue Michael Cinco Fall 2017 Couture gown really was a bold and dramatic fairy tale moment that took my breath away. It took a team of fluffers to help Aishwarya climb the steps into the Palais, and she was un-phased by any of it. Icon.
6) Julianne Moore in Givenchy Couture: I think we are starting to see a trend. When it comes to her L’Orealista appearances at the Cannes Film Festival there are two labels that Julianne Moore keeps returning to, Louis Vuitton and Givenchy. While I cannot say that there has ever been any real magic of Julianne in Vuitton when it comes to her choices from Givenchy they are almost always home runs. This year Julianne wore a custom red Givenchy Couture gown which featured intricate embroidery and feather details for the festivals Opening Ceremony. I love that this was a bold, edgy statement when most went for traditional glamour instead.
7) Tilda Swinton in Chanel Fall 2017 RTW: Tilda had several looks on the Cannes red carpets while promoting her latest film Okja at the festival, but it was at the 70th Anniversary celebration that I got the look that I fell most in love with. This black sequined Chanel Fall 2017 RTW jumpsuit was different on a red carpet that was dominated by Christian Dior, Armani Prive, and Louis Vuitton. This is the type of look that Tilda excels at wearing on the red carpet, feminine yet masculine and full of sharp elegance. We did not see too many women in pants on this years Cannes red carpets, but Tilda really showed us that androgyny can be beautiful. With her signature pouf and a red lip Tilda commanded attention on the red carpet. 8) Araya A. Hargate in Ralph & Russo Couture: Over the course of her time at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival we saw Thai actress Araya A. Hargate set out to redefine maternity style and by golly she did just that. I was always looking forward to seeing what Araya was going to wear on the red carpet next. She did not let her burgeoning baby bump take away from any of the looks that she wore. Out of all of all of her looks it was the Ralph & Russo Couture ensemble that Araya wore for the Opening Ceremony that I was most wowed by. Araya took a feathered cape from the Ralph & Russo Spring 2017 Couture collection and paired it with a simple strapless column gown from the labels Fall 2016 Couture collection. Wearing all white on the red carpet can come across as bridal, but it was more regal vibes that I got from Araya than bride.
9) Jessica Chastain in Zuhair Murad Spring 2017 Couture: Like Fan Bingbing I had really high expectations for Jessica Chastain as a jury member for this years Cannes Film Festival and I have to say that Jessica was more successful than Fan. It seemed that at least every other day Jessica was stepping out for a premiere and she definitely took risks. At the Closing Ceremony yesterday Jessica definitely brought my favorite look of hers from the festival. If you had told me that it was going to be Zuhair Murad that I picked as my favorite look from Jessica I probably would have laughed at you, but this white Zuhair Murad Spring 2017 Couture cap sleeve gown which features red scroll embellishments on the bodice was amazing. On the runway this gown was presented in black and some have said that they wish Jessica had worn the runway version, but I think that the black wouldn’t have stood out like the white did among all the black suits that were on the red carpet. There wasn’t a hair out of place, perfect makeup, and the diamonds complimented this look perfectly.
10) Sonam Kapoor in Elie Saab Couture: I don’t know what it was about this year but I think that after the bar she set last year and the bar that fellow Bollywood starlet Aishwarya Rai set that I was a bit underwhelmed by Sonam Kapoor on the Cannes red carpets this year. Last year we saw Sonam wear all Ralph & Russo Couture gowns during her time at Cannes and this year she turned to another of her favorite designers with Elie Saab. While she didn’t live up to the drama that I thought that she was going to bring to the red carpet this year I was still very impressed with everything that Sonam wore. Her for her first appearance Sonam wore a beautiful custom light pink Elie Saab Couture cape sleeve gown which seemed to liked to a beautiful sari inspired design. I love that while she wore French haute couture that the design still paid a tribute to traditional Indian styling. 11) Elle Fanning in Vivienne Westwood Couture: 2017 was Elle’s second time at Cannes and her first as a L’Orealista and I have to say that she was another of the festivals MVP’s. I lost count of how many gorgeous looks that Elle wore over the course of the festival. Elle and her glam squad call themselves #TeamUnicorn and that was the inspiration behind the gorgeous custom Vivienne Westwood Couture gown that Elle wore for the Opening Ceremony of the festival. The classic white corseted gown was made all that more fantastical with a unicorn inspired hand painted train. Had the the gown not have had the detail on the train it would have been way to bridal for my tastes, but the graffiti just elevated the look to my favorite of Elle’s festival ensembles. It was also the look where her hair and makeup was 100% on point.
12) Rihanna in Christian Dior Couture: Now I know that many will not agree with me putting Rihanna in her custom Christian Dior Couture ensemble at the Okja premiere on this list, but there isn’t a single person who I would actually like this look on except for Rihanna. I don’t usually get on board with seeing sunglasses on a red carpet, especially a black tie red carpet, but Rihanna paired her ensemble with a pair of Andy Wolf sunnies that perfectly complimented the look. While the gown and opera coat were very classic Dior it was the sunnies and Rihanna’s attitude that made this look so cool. Rihanna walked the red carpet at the Palais as a guest of Chopard since she unveiled her Rihanna Loves Chopard high jewelry collection at this years festival.
13) Uma Thurman in Atelier Versace: Un Certain Regard jury president Uma Thurman was very up and down over the course of this years festival, but she closed the festival in a gorgeous custom gold beaded fringe Atelier Versace gown that moved soooooooooo amazingly. Despite it being incredibly similar to a Michael Kors gown that we saw both Nicole Kidman and Kim Ok-Vin wear during the festival. I think that Uma wore the beaded fringe the best and it was such a sexy yet glamorous moment that I fell in love. 14) Lara Stone in Balmain: I knew that with the news that there would be a Balmain x L’Oreal Paris collaboration that we were bound to see some model L’Orealista’s wearing the label on the red carpet. It was just one single day where all the model L’Orealista’s joined Balmain’s creative director Olivier Rousting at the premiere of The Beguiled wearing custom gowns from the label. I was really surprised that for the premiere that there wasn’t a single Balmain look that I didn’t not love, now the party was very different. Lara Stone was my favorite of all the Balmain Army ladies wearing a gorgeous custom black gown inspired by details from the Balmain Fall 2017 RTW collection. The modern gown with a beaded bodice and a feathered skirt and train was goth glam at its best and Lara’s dark makeup and tucked back locks just made this look really come to life on the red carpet.
15) Monica Bellucci in Christian Dior Couture: I had low expectations for Monica Bellucci as she held the duties of Mistress of Ceremonies at this years Cannes Film Festival. I seemed to have underestimated just what the gorgeous Italian model was preparing to bring to Cannes this year. There wasn’t a single look that Monica wore over the course of this years festival that I didn’t like. It was this regal black and blue portrait neckline custom Christian Dior Couture tulle gown that I really fell in love with. I think it was because I was expecting black lace Dolce & Gabbana gowns from Monica the whole festival that this look made such an impact for me. While I definitely got very fatigued by sheer gowns over the course of the festival this year this gown did sheer in a very subtly and sultry way instead of in your face and overtly sexy.
16) Jasmine Sanders in Ulyana Sergeenko Couture: This year supermodel Jasmine Sanders made her Cannes Film Festival debut at the premiere of The Killing of a Sacred Deer. The model who’s Instagram and Twitter handle is @golden_barbie definitely lived up to that wearing a very chic boudoir inspired navy custom Ulyana Sergeenko Couture gown on the red carpet. I was taken with the confidence that Jasmine exuded on the red carpet that really sold this gown to me. Had this been a sheer robe over a bodysuit I would have written this look off, but the fact that Jasmine went the more subtle and sultry route to sexy and overt sex I was very intrigued. It was the perfect hair and makeup and that statement Bulgari necklace that really made this one of my favorite looks of this years festival. 17) Jessica Chastain in Givenchy Fall 2015 Couture: I noticed that as I have written this best of Cannes list that all my favorite looks came from just a few of the events that took place over the course of this years festival. The Okja premiere was one of the best dressed red carpets of the festival. After taking a few days of laying low Jessica made her first premiere red carpet after the opening ceremony at the Okja premiere. Jessica dug into the Givenchy archive to pull out this lilac fringe skirt Givenchy Fall 2015 Couture gown and I am so happy to finally see this gown on a red carpet. On the runway the gown was a light pink, but I really think that the lilac was the better choice for Jessica to wear on the red carpet at Cannes.
18) Nicole Kidman in Christian Dior Spring 2017 Couture: Anything goes at Cannes and that includes wearing couture before noon. Nicole went that route when she stepped out on the balcony at the Palais for the photocall for The Killing of a Sacred Deer wearing this fantastical Christian Dior Spring 2017 Couture full skirted cocktail dress with thin straps. This gown on the runway reminded me of one of the trolls from Frozen but Nicole really made it work. I love that she really turned this very visual and detailed couture midi gown on the red carpet into a breezy and light look for the daytime event. Rounding the look out with metallic green Dior sandals, loose waves, and a pink lip really made this look absolutely beautiful.
19) Li Yuchun in custom Gucci: I said earlier in reference to Sonam Kapoor that I loved that she took her custom designer gown and referenced traditional Indian dress, paying a beautiful homage to her homeland. The same was the feeling I had with the custom Gucci gown that Li Yuchun wore for the Okja premiere. The gown was inspired with the iconic cheongsam but was made very Gucci through the multicolored beaded tiger heads. Li has always been one of my favorites to see during Cannes and I like that this year she delivered us this very chic gown when most of the time we see her in edgy pants designs on the red carpet. 20) Uma Thurman in Atelier Versace: Uma Thurman started the Cannes Film Festival the same way she finished it, wearing a custom Atelier Versace gown. Uma was late the the party for the Opening Ceremony but she was able to stop a few times so that the photogs could get some great shots of her gorgeous custom Atelier Versace gown. Uma’s gown was a modified version of one of my favorite gowns from the Atelier Versace Fall 2016 Couture collection and white I do wish that someone had worn the runway version Uma glowed in total glamour on the red carpet.
21) Marion Cotillard in Armani Prive: Rounding out this years best of Cannes list is the beautiful Marion Cotillard. I was shocked and surprised that Marion didn’t wear a single Dior look over the course of the festival this year. The rumor has it that Marion and Dior have parted ways and I have to say that I am really excited to see what the French beauty will do when not under the reigns of her Dior contract. At her core Marion has always been edgier than her Dior contract would allow. It was a perfect fit under Galliano, up and down under Raf Simons, and I just don’t see it being magic under the bohemian glamour of Maria Grazia Chiuri’s Dior. My favorite of Marion’s looks at this years festival was this edgy glam custom Armani Prive navy, crystal covered column gown which features a dramatic neckline. What I love about this look is the confidence that Marion exuded. I love that she went high glam with the Chopard diamond collar necklace and edgy with the silver studded Alexander Wang PVC sandals. I cannot wait to see what the future will hold for Marion now that she is purportedly free of the confines of Dior.
Well that is a wrap on all things Cannes for 2017. I have had such a great time covering the festival over the last month and I am already looking forward to next year. The stars have really set the bar high for next year and I am hoping that the festival just continues to get more and more glamorous. Who was your best dressed at this years festival? Leave a comment on who you loved.