The 2017 Met Gala last night honoring the genius Rei Kawakubo of Comme de Garcons took place at the Metropolitan Museum of Art last night and there were over 175 stars that ascended the famous steps for the annual fundraiser for the Costume Institute. With the anti-glamour, avant garde codes of the Comme de Garcons label as the guides for most I was really impressed with how so many stars took the theme and ran with it. I think that there will be several of these looks that will go down in Met Gala fashion history. Cutting down all of the amazing looks last night was really hard I nominated 51 looks for best dressed and ultimately hacked away at the list until only ten were left standing, and yes it is as violent ans you would expect. There are hair pieces, couture, and diamonds flying everywhere when I make these cuts. The following are my favorite looks of the night.
1) Jennifer Lopez in Valentino Couture: When Jennifer Lopez stepped onto the red carpet last night she took my breath away. When I was looking back at Jennifer’s red carpet history I remembered how I loved her glamorous goddess years, and how I hoped they would return. This custom robins egg blue Valentino Couture cape gown gives goddess and 60’s socialite vibes and was not so much on theme for the anti-glamour of the Met Gala theme this year, but Jennifer always marches to the beat of her own drum. There wasn’t a hair out of place with this look and I am sure that when it comes time to publish my best dressed of the year list that this will be one of the looks on the table for consideration. Jennifer finished the look with a loose wavy ponytail, Harry Winston diamonds, Giuseppe Zanotti clutch and pumps, and a sultry smokey eye just further elevating this look to the top of this list.2) Rita Ora in custom Marchesa: Drama and glamour were the main points of the red carpet last night. There was a lot of very dramatic looks on the red carpet. Rita Ora had one of the most all around dramatic looks on the red carpet last night in her custom red and blush Marchesa mermaid gown which was all tied up with very dramatic bows. Had JLo gone her standard naked dress on the red carpet last night Rita would have been my number one moment of the night, it was that close. Rita really embraced the theme in totality from the gown to the lacquered blonde pixie and her smokey eye and dramatic red lip which paid homage to some of the iconic Comme de Garcons runway beauty looks.
3) Cara Delevinge in Chanel Spring 2017 Couture: When I heard that Cara was going to be wearing Chanel on the red carpet at the Met Gala I got excited and when I heard it was pants I got even more excited. I have no idea why when I heard that Cara was going to be wearing pants that I didn’t think of this silver embellished suit from the Chanel Spring 2017 Couture collection. I think that this look is perfect on Cara it meshes her edgy glam, the high fashion we expect from a Met Gala look, and the air of Comme de Garcons perfectly. Cara styled the look with beauty similar to Rita, but painted a silver hairstyle on her newly bald head. In March Cara revealed that she was going to be shaving her head for a movie and she made it work perfectly for her and the theme of the red carpet. Silver Christian Louboutin pumps completed the look.
4) Rihanna in Comme de Garcons: I give major kudos to Rihanna for actually wearing a Comme de Garcons look on the rec carpet at the Met Gala last night. Of all the stars who attended the gala last night if anyone was made to rock Comme de Garcons on the red carpet it was Rihanna and she did so beautifully. The dress was custom designed by Rei Kawakubo for Rihanna with pieces of fabric from past Comme de Garcons collections and it evoked an exploding flower. Rihanna took the dress and then went Geisha with her styling paying homage to the labels Japanese roots. Her top knot, bangs, pink mask like eye makeup, red DSquared2 strappy boots, and diamonds from her Rihanna Loves Chopard collection made this one of those iconic looks of the night. 5) Emmy Rossum in custom Carolina Herrera: I was really excited to hear that Emmy Rossum was going to be back on the Met Gala red carpet after taking a few years off from attending. It was revealed prior to her arrival that Emmy was going to wear Carolina Herrera and I got even more excited. Every time that Emmy wears Carolina Herrera on the red carpet she makes magic and last night was no different. Her Carolina Herrera strapless ivory and black jumpsuit which features a knotted peplum with a dramatic train was gorgeous. I wondered if it was too similar to Emma Stone’s Lanvin look at the Golden Globe Awards a few years ago, but Emmy brings a much more masculine approach while Emma was a more feminine approach. Either way Emmy was one of the best of the night in this look, it was very unexpected for her and for Carolina Herrera. I love that Carolina is changing the look of her label ever so slightly to bring in a new youthful clientele and this is just proof of that.
6) Diane Kruger in Prada: Diane is always one of my favorite ladies to see on the red carpet. Somehow without the help of a stylist Diane pretty much always knocks it out of the park and last night was no different. Like JLo, Diane went a more vintage inspired route for the Met Gala in a custom white Prada column gown which features a draped cape-like train and gold beading for the red carpet. The gown was elegant and glamorous and more than dramatic enough to be worn on the red carpet at the Met Gala. A crimped bob, robins egg blue Prada clutch, and a smokey eye rounded this look to perfection.
7) Riley Keough in custom Louis Vuitton: I said before the Met Gala red carpet started that I usually hate seeing Louis Vuitton on the red carpet and I was getting less and less excited with each announcement of who the label was going to dress. Well Riley Keough made me eat my words when she stepped out on the red carpet wearing this black sequin Louis Vuitton long sleeve, zipped up column gown which feature chain details and red stripes. The gown was the perfect interpretation of the theme of the gala while still sticking to the designs of Vuitton. I also usually hate seeing LV looks on the red carpet because they are weighed down by the boots, and I eat my words again because I think that they just added to the tough anti-glamour glamour of this look for the red carpet. 8) Claire Danes in Monse Fall 2017 RTW: Claire Danes was one of the first ones on the red carpet at the Met Gala last night and from the moment I first saw her I knew that she was going to be on the list. Claire was one of the best in her fiber optic Zac Posen this year and she is back on the list this year with her avant garde Monse ensemble. Monse designers Fernando Garcia and Laura Kim modified the opening look from their Fall 2017 RTW collection which features a white ruffled blouse and a pair of black tuxedo cargo pants to have a dramatic train. This embodied the edgy Monse woman and the avant garde anti-glamour of Comme de Garcons perfectly. I do kinda wish there was a bold red lip with this look instead of the nude, but it was all in all the perfect look for Claire to rock on the red carpet for this years gala.
9) Celine Dion in Atelier Versace Fall 2014 Couture: I said it in my Met Gala wish for Celine Dion that I thought that it was going to be the year that she finally attended her first Met Gala. Her stylist Law Roach has been pushing her to attend image boosting events since they started working together last year and what higher aspiration than the Met Gala? Celine was the last one to walk the red carpet, an honor usually saved for Rihanna or Beyonce, and her amazing black waxed silk draped gown which featureless a cap sleeve Swarovski crystal body suit from the Atelier Versace Fall 2014 Couture collection was perfect for the theme. I have been waiting to see this look off the runway for years now and I honestly thought it was going to be someone like Beyonce snatching this look up for a performance costume and not a red carpet look. Celine paid homage to Comme de Garcons on the red carpet in a perfect way. Was this the most dramatic look of the night? No, but it was a true embodiment of the theme & the perfect way to close out the night.
10) Michelle Monaghan in Paco Rabanne: I loved Michelle Monaghan wen I first saw her custom silver chainmail Paco Rabanne gown on her stylist Karla Welch’s Instagram. The gown is simple in shape but when it packs such a bold shining punch there isn’t much need for a dramatic shape. What I love about this look is that Michelle took a dramatic edgy gown and let it be the star of the show. Some might have gone down the bold makeup route with this gown adding a smokey eye and a red lip, but Michelle’s simple and feminine glam just made this look perfection.
Well there you have my favorite looks of the night. Who made your best dressed list?