The Fall 2017 RTW collections wrapped up showing over fashion month just about a week ago. Beginning with New York Fashion Week and running all the way through Paris Fashion Week the runways were packed with some of the most amazing clothes and so many potential red carpet moments. Labels like Oscar de la Renta, Alexander McQueen, Sally LaPointe, Monse, Adam Selman, Alberta Ferretti, Erdem, Monique Lhuillier, Brandon Maxwell, Naeem Khan, Julien Macdonald, Jonathan Simkhai, Michael Kors, J. Mendel, Pamella Roland, Delpozo, Michael Costello, and Erin Fetherston have already had looks from their Fall 2017 RTW collections on the red carpet (many being extremely successful.) These are the red carpet looks that we will be seeing on all the red carpets over the next six months and I am really excited to see who will get their hands on what and what will become iconic moments. As I was editing down all the collections from all the fashion weeks to one favorite look from each collection and then down to just 20 of those collections to feature on this list was extremely difficult. There are so many gorgeous moments that are just waiting for celebrities to grace the red carpet wearing them making them into major moments. When I did this last season 11 of the 20 looks I picked were worn on a red carpet and 9 of the brands that made last seasons list also have made this list. 1) Alberta Ferretti: Last season Alberta Ferretti was on this list with a gorgeous ball skirt. Sadly that look was not worn and I hope the same fate doesn’t become of the look from the Fall 2017 RTW collection. There are several gorgeous gowns from this collection (and Heidi Klum has already worn one of them) but it is this black one shoulder gold embroidered gown which features a train in back and flared hemline is the look that I most want to see rocked on the red carpet. When I saw Gigi Hadid strut down the runway wearing this gown with a tiered tulle capelet in Milan I immediately thought of how gorgeous this gown would be on the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival on the back of L’Orealista Eva Longoria. The gown is incredibly dramatic but in a more bohemian way, but still dramatic enough to really warrant a major red carpet moment.
2) Balenciaga: Balenciaga is another label that was on last seasons list that didn’t get worn on the red carpet, but then again none of that collection got worn on the red carpet. For his Fall 2017 collection creative director Demma Gvasalia decided to end it with a selection of “couture” looks that interpenetrated looks from the original Balenciaga archive. These looks played with print, color and volume, and I am really hoping that we see one or two of them on the red carpet. My favorite was the white and pink floral tiered trapeze dress which was inspired by the Spring 1958 collection and just really plays to the modern classic style that has really taken the fashion world by storm this season. I also love that on these dresses in black block lettering sees the original name of the dress and the season it was introduced printed across the back. Such a dramatic dress definitely needs someone who can really make it work on a red carpet. That is why I think that someone like Marion Cotillard, Kate Bosworth, or Diane Kruger would definitely be able to turn this dress into a truly magical moment. 4) Bottega Veneta: I was really surprised by how much I really loved the Bottega Veneta Fall 2017 RTW collection. Coming off of a Pre-Fall collection that I really adored Tomas Maier followed with a runway collection that was just as glamorous. I think that there are a bounty of potential red carpet moments and I just hope that starlets start to look at the label again when they are picking their looks for premieres or other red carpet events. Michelle Monaghan, Elizabeth Debicki, and Nieves Alvarez all sat front row at this seasons show so I have hope that we will be seeing a few of these looks on the red carpet. My favorite look from the collection was this light gold silk lamé column gown and I think that someone like Spanish supermodel Nieves Alvarez would really bring this gown to life on the red carpet, maybe for an event in Spain. Maybe for Cannes.
5) Brandon Maxwell: I can almost guarantee you that you are going to see this silver Brandon Maxwell Fall 2017 RTW glittering suit on this blog several times until it is worn on a red carpet. Since launching his label with the Spring 2016 collection and Maxwell has become a red carpet powerhouse and this look proves why. This suit was created in partnership with Swarovski and is covered in 1,000,000 crystals and is just magic. I watched the dress walk the runway and model Riley Montana worked the look with ease and lightness in spite of how heavy this suit must actually be. There are a few women that I definitely want to see this suit on. I have a feeling that Brandon is saving this look for friend and muse Lady Gaga, but I can also see Naomi Campbell, Scarlett Johansson, or Iman wearing this look on the red carpet. I would say that this look will show up at the Met Gala.5) Calvin Klein: One of the most anticipated collections of fashion month was the debut of Raf Simons at Calvin Klein. I was one who was really excited to see what he was going to bring to the house. It wasn’t until he left Dior that I realized how much I actually really liked Raf’s atheistic, but he is much more a fit for Calvin Klein than he was at Dior. Raf always likes to push boundaries (just look at the custom Calvin Klein gown he made for Naomie Harris to wear for the Oscars) and that was no different with his debut collection for his new home. There were a bounty of stars that turned out the day after a major snowstorm in NYC to celebrate Raf’s debut at Calvin Klein, and I think that bodes wells for the future of this collection on the red carpet. My favorite look from the collection was a play on my favorite trend from fall which is FEATHERS! This blue and white shift dress covered in feathers which are then covered in clear PVC is amazing. On paper this dress shouldn’t work, but it really did on the runway and I think that it will on the red carpet (but only on the right person.) I think that Kate Bosworth (who was front row at this show) is one of the only women who could really make this into an absolutely amazing red carpet moment.
6) Elie Saab: I was not in Paris, but I was able to watch some of the shows via live stream and Elie Saab was one of those that I took in via the world wide web. I have been finding myself waning off of really adoring Saab’s RTW collections as I have just been feeling like they are skewing in a different direction than the couture collections, and driving the label away from some red carpet stars. There were a lot of pretty dresses, but there weren’t many really wow moments for me. One moment that I loved from the collection was this flowing blue ruffle and embellished lace gown. This was the only ooooo moment that I actually had as I watched the show. I always watch the Elie Saab show with the idea of red carpet in my mind and I think that we will see this gown turned into an absolutely gorgeous moment on the back of either Elizabeth Banks or Jessica Chastain. 7) Erdem: Beautiful floral lace dresses, that is what we have come to expect from Erdem over the course of the rise of his fashion label. He did not disappoint with his Fall 2017 RTW collection. Felicity Jones already wore one look from this collection (but sadly her hair was a major let down and ruined the look for me.) A soft take on Victorian vampiress was definitely the theme that trickled through the Erdem Fall 2017 RTW collection and there are several gorgeous moments that are just waiting to hit the red carpet. I think that this mauve lace gown which features black floral embroidery, bell sleeves, and a dusty rose velvet crisscross ribbon detail at the neckline would be perfect for a cool girl on the red carpet. Someone like Ruth Negga, Liya Kebede, and Zoe Saldana are all people that I can really picture turning this look into a major red carpet moment. I can Also see Nicole Kidman wearing this gown. What everyone who considers wearing this gown should do is ensure that their hair is worn up!
8) Giorgio Armani: I think one of the collections that made this list that even I was most surprised at was the Giorgio Armani Fall 2017 RTW collection. Overall I was not a huge fan of this collection, but there were a few standout looks that I think will become major red carpet moments. This black completely sequined column gown covered in light pink crystal encrusted flowers closed the show in high style and is the look that I most want to see brought to the red carpet. The first names that popped into my mind as I looked at this gown were Nicole Kidman, Zhang Ziyi, Bella Heathcote, and Julianne Moore. Each lady would bring this gown to life in a different way, but all would bring their magic to really make this a red carpet home run. 9) Gucci: One of my favorite collections of all of fashion month was Gucci. It was wonderfully eclectic and definitely a visual orgasm and in some cases an overload. I always love watching the Gucci shows, and then turning around and scrolling though pictures again and again to see all the pieces that are layered to really make the looks that come down the runway. I did not have to do a double take on this gown which features an ivory exaggerated cape blouse which features pink rosettes on the shoulders and a black silk waistband and a black velvet skirt to know that it was going to be my favorite moment from the collection and that I want, no have, to see this gown on the red carpet. The gown is a really bold statement, so I know it will take a really statuesque like Cate Blanchett to really make this gown work on the red carpet. In fact Cate is the only one I want to see wearing this confection.
10) J.W. Anderson: FEATHERS! I love feathers for the red carpet. They bring a touch of fun and glamour to looks that you don’t get with most other embellishments usually. J.W. Anderson has been one that loves to play with all kinds of motifs and this grey and red cocktail dress which features a feathered hem, silver chainmail, and a bold print shows absolutely major red carpet potential. We have not really seen J.W. Anderson on the red carpet, but I think that this dress could turn into something gorgeous. Now this dress isn’t exactly something that would be right for a mainstream red carpet, but maybe one of the MTV Awards or even the Met Gala red carpet. I could definitely see Rita Ora wearing this dress in it’s runway form or having it turned into a gown for the Met Gala. 11) Jonathan Simkhai: Since winning the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund in 2015 Jonathan Simkhai has become such a major label dressing some of the biggest celebrities around the world. We have already seen Zoe Saldana and Emily Ratajkowski rock the labels Fall 2017 RTW collection successfully. This collection is probably my favorite Simkhai collection as of yet and I am really intrigued to see what the future holds for these gorgeous looks on the red carpet. Anyone that knows me knows that I love some sparkle so it should come as no surprise that I absolutely love this diamond tulle off the shoulder gown which features a fully embroidered design with an off the shoulder silhouette and column skirt with a front slit. Kate Beckinsale, Zoe Saldana, Joan Smalls, Karlie Kloss, and Kate Beckinsale all would make this a gorgeous red carpet moment.
12) Monse: Of all the “cool girl” brands out there Monse is one of the hottest. I have been really excited about this label since it first launched. I have been a fan since before the label got it’s first red carpet moment. Now the brand has dressed some of the biggest names in fashion, and I am really excited to see who is going to rock the brands uber cool Fall 2017 RTW collection on the red carpet. The ultimate cool girl Rihanna has already worn a look for the presentation of her Harvard Humanitarian Award. I think that Hailee Steinfeld would be the perfect person to wear my favorite look from this collection with this ensemble which features a yellow velvet high-low draped top and black leather cargo pants. This look is edgy and glamorous and I am really excited for someone to wear this look on the red carpet, if not Hailee maybe Zendaya or Emma Watson. 13) Moschino: Jeremy Scott definitely always shows the most over the top collections of all of fashion month and sometimes they translate as amazing and sometimes you ask WTF. His Fall 2017 RTW collection was amazing. The models walked down a cardboard covered runway with their stilettos piercing holes along the way with looks that seemed to be inspired by a luxurious woman packing up and moving her life from one fabulous mansion to the next. Moschino collections are necessarily the most wearable clothes off the runway, but the finale look was one that I feel like I just have to see on the red carpet. Inspired by Turkish rugs, this long sleeve velvet column gown this gown is a visual feast and I am really hoping that someone wears this gown on the red carpet. Paloma Faith, Julianne Moore, and Hailee Steinfeld would all be perfect people to really make this look come to life on the red carpet.
14) Naeem Khan: I have to admit that when I was in NYC for fashion week that Naeem Khan was one show that I really wish I could have gone to. I am almost always a fan of Naeem’s collections and I am really looking forward to seeing who will bring his gorgeous collection to the red carpet. Karlie Kloss got her hands on a red one shoulder sequin column gown from the collection for the Vanity Fair red carpet. Out of all the gowns from this collection it was this strapless embroidered mermaid gown that I really want to see on the red carpet. This gown is dramatic and feminine and I think that style stars like Zoe Saldana or Kate Beckinsale would look lovely wearing this gown, or maybe Tony Award winning actress Renee Ellis Goldsberry. 15) Oscar de la Renta: Of all the collections from Fall 2017 it seems that the Oscar de la Renta collection is getting the most love from the celebrity world. We have already seen off the runway and custom looks inspired by the collection on Brie Larson, Ruth Negga, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, and Emma Watson (who has worn 4 looks.) Fernando Garcia and Laura Kim returned home this season to Oscar de la Renta, which is where they were for years before they left to launch their label Monse, as co-creative directors. The reviews from Vogue and Women’s Wear Daily were none to kind to their return home and that came as a shock to me as the collection was perfectly Oscar and modern. I think where the disconnect with their Oscar collection came is that they decided to show it in a back to back show with their own Monse line and editors had a hard time disconnecting the two collections. Each was great, but in their own ways. The strong feminine glamour of this collection really showed some gorgeous moments. It was honestly hard for me to pick a single favorite moment from the collection but this strapless tea length gown which features a fitted bodice, a full skirt, and multicolored floral embellishment throughout was one of my favorite stand out moments. I would love to see someone like Amy Adams or Taylor Swift really bring this extremely feminine gown to life on the red carpet.
16) Prada: For Fall it seemed like Muccia Prada meshed the 20’s and the 60’s and a selection that seemed inspired by those with lavish lifestyles and blue collar workers at the same time. It was an amazing season for Prada, with a whole host of potential red carpet moments in its ranks. The house has several loyal lovelies with Lea Seydoux, Lupita Nyong’o, Emma Stone, and Sienna Miller each of whom I could see wearing many of the looks from this collection. The flamingo pink beaded and feathered cocktail look was the piece that really made me go wow and I am praying that of all the looks in the collection that it really gets a red carpet moment. I want to see Emma Stone or Lupita Nyong’o really bring this gown to life on a red carpet (Met Gala maybe?)17) Rochas: I will always remember the first time I heard the label Rochas, while watching The Devil Wears Prada when Nigel told Andy that he switched in the Dior for the Rochas. Now I always look forward to seeing what is presented on the Rochas runway. While I have always found things that I liked I was sifting through Rochas collections and there have been some beautiful Rochas red carpet moments there hasn’t really been a look that I would have qualified for my must see list before but this gold sleeveless sequin fringe dress was one of the biggest wow moments of fashion month. After the show it seemed like there wasn’t a single editor that didn’t post a video or slow-mo or boomerang of this look on Instagram. It was one of those really dazzling moments. It is hard to ignore bold sequins, but this dress is sophisticated and fun. There aren’t many celebrities that wear Rochas on the red carpet, but I think that someone like Zoe Saldana or Sarah Jessica Parker would definitely dazzle on the red carpet wearing this gorgeous creation.
18) Rosie Assoulin: New York Fashion Week has the most emerging labels out of any of the big weeks during fashion month. So many collections are presented it is impossible to make it to all of them. Rosie Assoulin always shows a presentation style show and it is one of the hottest tickets of the course of all the presentation style shows. With celebrity fans like Michelle Monaghan, Rihanna, Olivia Wilde, Karlie Kloss, Zendaya, Solange Knowles, and Michelle Dockery it is hard to deny that the label is hot. Known for her use of volume it takes a really strong woman to really make her looks work on the red carpet. My favorite look from her Fall 2017 RTW presentation was probably the hardest to wear. This gorgeous cream antique floral print gown what was dubbed the ‘Whoopie Cushion’ gown features a ruffled halter neckline, a fitted bodice, and a full skirt with a ruffled hem is hard to wear, but I know that someone could really make this a major red carpet moment. Give this gown to Rihanna, Zendaya, or Solange and you know that it will turn into red carpet magic. 19) Saint Laurent: After his symbolic debut at Saint Laurent Anthony Vaccarello followed that up with more rebuilding symbolism by showing his Fall 2017 RTW collection for the house again outside the still under construction future Saint Laurent HQ. Vaccarello packed the fashion elite in chairs facing the construction site in the rain and I could imagine that those leaving felt cold, wet, and feeling like it was totally worth it all. Vaccarello showed an uber sexy rock and roll collection that packed a really glamorous punch. The Saint Laurent girl stays true to the rocker girl that his predecessor, Heidi Slimane, crafted but did so in a way that embraces the woman more than the uber thin waifish models that Slimane favored and glamorized. There were many moments from the collection that I want to see on the red carpets but it was this one shoulder draped black velvet gown which features a super sexy slit and a brown leather abstract floral detail on the shoulder that really spoke to me. As I watched this gown come down the runway was the only thing that came to mind was Liya Kebede wearing this gown on the red carpet at Cannes, and I hope it happens.
20) Valentino: Pierpaolo Piccioli’s sophomore solo RTW collection was not as strong as his debut, but still true to his vision on the Valentino woman. The collection was full of gorgeous coats and dresses that I am sure that we are going to see all over the red carpets. While I wasn’t in love (which is not saying that I didn’t like it, I just didn’t love it) with the collection as a whole, there were still a bunch of major moments that are just waiting for someone to bring them to the red carpet. I was most captivated with this raspberry red sequined caped trapeze dress that really would make for a perfect maternity moment on the red carpet. I kind of wish this dress was around when Marion Cotillard was promoting her films Allied and Assassins Creed at the end of last year. The dress is just fun and chic, the perfect look for a party. Of those that aren’t preggers I totally would see Jaime King or Kate Hudson wearing this dress on the red carpet.
There were so many potential red carpet moments that were presented and these 20 are just a small fraction of the looks that I really want to see on the red carpet. Which of these looks do you really want to see? Are there people you want to see wearing any of these looks that I didn’t mention? What about looks that I didn’t feature? Leave some comments about what you like, love, and loathe.