1) Alessandra Ambrosio in Ralph & Russo Fall 2016 Couture: Following being the ‘La Marie’ in the Ralph & Russo Spring 2017 Couture presentation Alessandra Ambrosio joined the designers and other invited guest at the shows after party to celebrate the new collection. Alessandra went for full glam with an icy blue Ralph & Russo Fall 2016 Couture draped gown and a feathered boa. I don’t know what it is about this look but Alessandra really just sells everything that she is wearing for me. I think that a big part of this look being so great is the fact that this gown is a departure from what we are used to seeing Alessandra wearing on the red carpet. The banged updo, lined eye, light lip, and silver Giuseppe Zanotti sandals all made this (cold defying) look the most elegant look of January. 2) Naomie Harris in Alexandre Vauthier Fall 2016 Couture: Naomie Harris is always a favorite of mine and she has been on top of her game (mostly) since she officially on the road to the Oscars. She had a bunch of amazing looks over the last month so it was hard to pick my absolute favorite. This white Alexandre Vauthier Fall 2016 Couture sexy tuxedo style gown which is elevated by an obi style black belt. This gown just evokes the modern sense of glamour in the chicest way possible and Naomie really carried in extremely well. Her sleek pushed back locks, lined eye, red lip, and black sandals were the perfect styling for this look.
3) Ruth Negga in Valentino Spring 2017 RTW: Ruth Negga kicked off the year as the first person to get featured in a “You Better Werk!” post in 2017. Ruth showed up on the red carpet at the Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards Gala red carpet wearing an absolutely gorgeous sheer Valentino Spring 2016 RTW floral embroidered gown. This gown just evoked this air of fairy princess and was the perfect first awards season look for her. Ruth has proved one to watch this year, and I am just getting more and more excited about what she will bring to the red carpets on the road to the Academy Awards.
4) Chanel Iman in Basil Soda Fall 2016 Couture: Of the model groups Chanel Iman is one of my favorites to see on the red carpet. Chanel has this very sexy yet glamorous style and she honestly knocks it out of the park every single time that she steps out. Her gorgeous wine Basil Soda Fall 2016 Couture gown which features gold threadwork bonding the top of this gown to the skirt was a total WOW moment for the Weinstein Co./Netflix Golden Globe Awards after-party red carpet. Working some “Angelina leg” I think that the glamour of this gown was totally uplifted on Chanel with her sleek hair, smokey eye, statement earrings, and uber sexy sandals finishing the look. 5) Ruby Rose in Balmain Spring 2017 RTW: Going into the first promo tour of the year I was not expecting Ruby Rose to be the breakout star from the gates. Ruby got herself a new stylist (Jessica Paster who also dresses Emily Blunt, Olivia Munn, and Miranda Kerr) and they began to make some magic together. Ruby made me re-find the magic of Balmain at the London premiere if xXx: Return of Xander Cage wearing a tribal-esque fully beaded gown from the labels Spring 2017 RTW collection. The gown was visually striking and showcases Ruby’s toned abbes in a way that didn’t flaunt them. The very minimal styling really allowed this gown to sing on it’s own.
6) Miranda Kerr in Carolina Herrera Resort 2017: Stylist Jessica Paster got herself two girls on this list with Miranda Kerr following Ruby Rose. Miranda was gorgeous wearing a rainbow stripe Carolina Herrera Resort 2017 midi dress which features a black embellished neckline and a side split for the Harper’s Bazaar 150 Most Fashionable Women Party. Horizontal stripes are extremely hard to pull off and I am proud that Miranda took the risk and it totally paid off. While I loved that Chanel worked the split of her Basil Soda gown, I am glad that Miranda kept the posing in this look very prim and ladylike.
7) Hailee Steinfeld in Atelier Versace Fall 2016 Couture: Prior to the Golden Globe Awards Hailee Steinfeld stepped out for the W Magazine “Great Performances” Issue celebration giving us modern disco chic wearing Atelier Versace Fall 2016 Couture. This is one of the looks from that collection that I was waiting to see on the red carpet and I believe that Hailee more than does it justice. I was expecting to see this gown on a music red carpet, but I think that since Hailee has that pop star persona that is what made this what made it really work. 8) Camilla Belle in Carolina Herrera Resort 2017: I try to give the most variation in people and labels as possible as I pick my best dressed lists, but sometimes labels deliver a bunch of really amazing looks on the red carpet. Following Miranda Kerr, Camilla Belle wore Carolina Herrera Resort 2017 beautifully on the red carpet. Camilla wore a gorgeous nude/black strapless ruffled tulle ballgown for the PSLA Winter Gala and was the standout style star. This gown evokes the glamorous styles of 1950’s Dior and Camilla’s very elegant styling all elevated this look.
9) Bella Hadid in Christian Dior: I was really surprised that of all the looks on this list that there was only one custom look. Usually I am all over custom gowns as stylists work closely with designers to really evoke the air of the wearer and that is exactly what happened with Bella Hadid in a custom Christian Dior denim bustier cocktail dress for the Dior Poison Club launch party. Since being brought on as a face of Dior Bella has mostly worn different variations on this style bustier dress so I am surprised that I am not bored of it already. Bella takes this dress and each time makes it feel fresh, and that is a testament.
10) Diane Kruger in Christian Dior Fall 2016 Couture: Rounding out this list is the woman I call bae, Diane Kruger. The gorgeous German actress could wear a paper bag and I would probably love it. When Diane stepped out for Maria Grazia Chiuri’s first couture show for Dior (Diane also was at Chiuri’s Dior debut back in September 2016) she wore a gorgeous black Christian Dior Fall 2016 Couture fit to flare dress which totally evoked the spirit of Christian Dior’s ‘New Look.’ The off the shoulder dress with matching sleeve like gloves was paired with Dior Spring 2017 logo-mania kitten heels, a messy bob, and a white and black embroidered Dior clutch to really round out this glam, yet punk interpenetration of a classic Dior style.
You can see all the looks I considered for this list over on the If I Was A Stylist Facebook page.