2017 was an absolutely amazing year on the red carpet. I had over 1,400 nominees for Best Dressed of the Year and I will say that having to narrow that list down to just 10 ( a mere .7% of what it was) was seriously no easy task. Stars really upped their game this year and I just kept getting more and more excited about what was to come.
1) Beyonce in Francesco Scognamiglio Fall 2016 Couture at the MTV Video Music Awards: Topping this year’s list is Queen Bey. When I saw Beyonce step out on the, what ended up being a very lackluster, white carpet at the MTV Video Music Awards my jaw dropped. In July when Francesco Scognamiglio debuted his first couture collection I was wondering if any of these gorgeous creations would make it to the red carpet. I figures someone like Lady Gaga would bring it to the red carpet, but I don’t think it would have been as magical as it was in Beyonce. The sheer beaded column gown enhanced with major ostrich plumage at the bodice was a killer moment. From the chic updo, smokey eye, and Lorraine Schwartz drop earrings every single part of this look was magical. 2) Cate Blanchett in Gucci Spring 2017 RTW at the IWC Gala at the London Film Festival: After a very lackluster awards season and the announcement that she will be taking time away from Hollywood to focus on her stage work, I was really excited to see Cate Blanchett on the red carpet at the IWC Gala at the London Film Festival. This look from Cate is the perfect example of dramatic glamour and not many people could pull it off with effortless ease, but Cate did. I was slow to build my love for Gucci but Alessandro Michelle has brought the brand to a whole new level and I have been loving it.
3) Emma Stone in Atelier Versace Fall 2016 Couture at the Venice Film Festival premiere of La La Land: Emma Stone kicked off the road to the Academy Awards at the Venice Film Festival opening ceremony and she did so in really high style. I was sitting in my office when I got a twitter notification and saw this amazing sequin Atelier Versace Fall 2016 Couture gown which looked like such a mermaid moment that I let out a little squeal. I had filed this gown (which was presented unlined on the runway) as something that Jennifer Lopez would get her hands on to spin around a stage. Everything about Emma in this gown is perfection. I hope that she rides the best dressed train all the way though the Academy Awards and beyond.
4) Sonam Kapoor in Ralph & Russo at the Cannes Film Festival premiere of Loving: Sonam Kapoor became the Queen of Cannes while wearing nothing but Ralph & Russo on the red carpet. Each of Sonam’s looks were the very epitome of Cannes glamour and it was no surprise that she topped the best dressed list at the festival this year. Her custom cream gown which features a strapless mermaid gown and a floral 3D cape train which she wore for the festivals premiere of Loving was everything that I always dream of when I dream of a Cannes red carpet. I always love that Sonam likes to be a little bit extra on the red carpet and her styling with the sleek bun, smokey eye, dark rose lip, and statement necklace all add to this absolutely stunning red carpet moment. 5) Diane Kruger in Naeem Khan Fall 2016 RTW at the German Film Awards: What would a Best Dressed of the Year list be without bae? Diane Kruger is always winning when it comes to her red carpet appearances. I am just waiting for her to have a role in a film that will deliver her another awards season run. This year Diane did have a major set of red carpet looks as she promoted two films and my favorite of her looks was a killer red caped Naeem Khan Fall 2016 RTW gown at the German Film Awards. I was blown away by the amount of ease that Diane pulled this look off with. It comes across as this is her everyday norm.
6) Lupita Nyong’o in Elie Saab at the Queen of Katwe LA Premiere: Lupita Nyong’o gave a killer promo tour for Queen of Katwe this year which included stops at some of the major film festivals. Each of Lupita’s looks during this press tour included a nod to African heritage, most with a head wrap. All of her looks were best dressed worthy, but it was her lilac Elie Saab Resort 2017 gown which features striped harness style ribboning at the films premiere in LA that really took my breath away. The way that this gown moved as Lupita glided down the red carpet, and it was still gorgeous when she was completely still. The head wrap added just that last perfect touch to this moment for Lupita.
7) Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in Yves St Laurent Spring 2017 RTW at the Bazaar Women of the Year Awards: What would a best dressed list be without one model? It is literally their job to look chic wearing designer clothes and as their fame rises the style of looks that they wear on the red carpet does as well. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley has status as one of the worlds top models, and with 10 best dressed moments throughout the year there were a few of her looks that vied for a spot on this list. I ultimately went with this Yves Saint Laurent Spring 2017 RTW ensemble which she wore to the Bazaar Women of the Year Awards because of how effortless this very 80s style look came across. From the gorgeous one shouldered gold sequin top, skinny black pant, sexy waves, one statement tassel earring all made this even more of a major red carpet moment. 8) Michelle Obama in Atelier Versace at the White House State Dinner for the Italian Prime Minister: For her final White House State Dinner honoring the visit of the Italian Prime Minister First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama came dressed in her battle armor. As this dinner came near the end of a bitter political campaign I saw this rose gold chainmail gown custom made for the First Lady by Atelier Versace as her putting on her armor showing that the American people’s resolve may be tested but we will fight for what is right. This gown was the ultimate statement of the year underscoring her now famous Democratic National Convention speech line “when they go low we go high.” I am seriously going to miss Michelle when she departs the White House, I just don’t think we will see the same level of humility and glamour from a First Lady for a very long time.
9) Lady Gaga in Carolina Herrera Spring 2016 RTW seen out in Los Angeles: There were several moments that Lady Gaga gave this year on the red carpet that were in high contention for a spot on this list. Her gorgeous custom black velvet Atelier Versace gown at the Golden Globe Awards and a her white Brandon Maxwell gown over pants at the Academy Awards both vied very highly for this list, but it was this gorgeous pink Carolina Herrera Spring 2016 RTW ensemble that she wore out in LA on her way to a baby shower that really took my heart this year. The chic classic glamour of this look paired with a light blue hat box, white sunglasses, and simple pumps just added to the glamour of this look.
10) Blake Lively in Michael Kors Spring 2016 RTW seen out in New York City: Last but not least is Blake Lively. Blake is always one of my favorite ladies on the red carpet and this year was no different. Last year Blake was also in this same spot on my best dressed list wearing red, so it is starting to become a trend. I have no idea where she was headed but I adored this absolutely stunning red 3-D floral embroidered Michael Kors Spring 2016 RTW dress. Weather records indicate that on this day in New York City the high temperature did not exceed 39 degrees, but Blake worked the summery look without a coat and did not let the temperature phase her. Her perfect Louboutin silver spike studded accessories just really punctuated this as a perfect red carpet moment.
I hope that you really enjoyed my coverage of the red carpets this year. I know that there were some times when I was moving the site from Blogger to WordPress and when I was working on the Hillary Clinton campaign that I did not post often, but despite that thanks to all my readers that this was still the best year that I have had on this blog yet. I thank you all for that. I hope that all of my readers have a great holiday weekend and I will be back on Monday starting with Awards Season 2017 red carpet wish lists! Thanks again for another amazing year.